Zero Connector DIY Silver/Gold Interconnect

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by 3DSonics, Oct 21, 2004.

1. 3DSonics

BlueMax

Thank you Thorsten for that info. I was interested in this project but shelved it because I could not source these O rings.

For use with FT-125 co-ax, you specify "four rubber O-Rings with an inner diameter a little below 6mm."

Is there a Wickes or a RS Part Number?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2004
    BlueMax, Nov 2, 2004
  2. 3DSonics

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

I'm sure there is. I just walk into the shop, stroll over to the plumbing section and pick up a bag full a range of varied diameter rubber O-Rings, so don't ask me part numbers....

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 3, 2004
  3. 3DSonics

BlueMax

Underlying principles behind this cable design are missing.
    So are comparisons with other cables.

Has anyone made this cable? Any sonic benefits compared to other DIY or commercial I/Cs?

BlueMax, Nov 4, 2004
  4. 3DSonics

Hi,

On purpose. After all, I am not marketing this, I merely make it available to anyone wanting to make on.

What for? Most commercial cables are so far from any attempt at neutrality that comparisons are meaningless anyway.

As you might have noticed, I have.

For cables of similar cost/simplicity there is simply nothing that compares. If you compare to other DIY Designs (including my published ones) these very cheap and simple cables perform as well as my most complex and difficult to make ones, they easily outperform Kimber style silver cables, Nordost copies (using tempflex SCSI wire) and about anything else, IF YOU WANT A NEUTRAL SOUNDING CABLE (in other words a cable that DOES NOT SOUND).

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 4, 2004
  5. 3DSonics

BlueMax

Lot of RFI and EMI is about particularily behind amps and components.

Without screening or twisting, how does this design get around this problem?

Thanks.

BlueMax, Nov 21, 2004
  6. 3DSonics

Hi,

Really? You mean there is more RFI behind an Amp than in front of it? I would have thought the fieldstrength would depend a lot on distance to source and given that the source is sually a radio transmitter, cellphone tower or military/civilian radar or other instllation the difference between "in front" and "behind" an amplifier should be minimal and show no consistent pattern. In fact, if the Amp is between the source of RFI and the cable the screening effect might make the back of the Amp having LESS RFI.

Well, first, just like DNM's interconnects, this cable does not attempt to "get around the problem", largely because in most cases this "problem" actually does not exist. If you have serious RFI problems the source is usually incompetent design in the Amplifier and/or the close proximity of a strong RFI source, which is often bad enough that even normal screened cables do not cut RFI anything enough.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 21, 2004
  7. 3DSonics

BlueMax

The “Zero Connector†has been on this forum for a month now. Apart from the designer, did anyone else on the forum feel motivated enough to make one of these?

If so, how did it go and what does it sound like?
    Thanks.

BlueMax, Nov 21, 2004
  8. 3DSonics

michaelab desafinado

Well, I have now. A couple of weeks ago I tried DNM speaker cable in place of my Dynaudio OCOS cable and today I tried some DNM interconnects (bullet plug version) in place of my Musical Fidelity NuVista ICs (also re-terminated with Bullet Plugs) and in both cases I can't honestly say I heard a difference. In both cases I felt that the DNM cables had perhaps slightly less body then my existing cables but the difference was so small I could well have been imagining it.

In terms of construction DNM cables are about as different to my existing cables as you can get. My existing cables (speaker and IC) are both coaxial whereas DNM is just two parallel solid core wires with some plastic separation. In the case of the ICs the connectors (Bullet Plugs) were the same.

I might keep the DNM though for use with a TT if I decide to get one.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 12, 2004
Ask a Question