zero cost isolation

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by zanash, May 4, 2007.

1. zanash

DavidF

Thanks very much for the offer; I've been very pleased with results I'm getting from ball bearings, so will stay with those for now, if thats ok.

I've got 45mm cones (tapered) nearly ready if you're interested. Can be drilled for 6mm balls, no probs.

(Piccy if you would like.)

Also the 45mil discs with 13mil balls as in the (above) pic. I Should be able to match up four with little difficulty.

cheers,

D.

DavidF, Jun 4, 2007
  2. zanash

zanash

From the vist to jackotrades...see getting animated in the review section.

I placed the three feet and balls under the NAS morche combo benath the NAS plinth, on top of another isolation platform [I can't remember the name ] The effect was quite a surprise...extra bass, a sparkling top end, and improved imaging. Thought there were some aspects that sounded off ...or it may just have been such a jump in sound difference that we were not used to it. As the lower bass was being provided by a sub it was clear this was swamping the rest of the music and if we had more time I would have suggested this be turned down. As it was I had wend my weary way back up the M1.

I have not tried these under a TT before .....the effect was as large as any of the cdps I've tried the feet under. I just wish I had more time to experiment....I've left a set with jackotrades so with luck he may be able to post some more.

zanash, Jun 4, 2007
  3. zanash

DavidF

Had a re-think sq225917.....

Send me those balls, if you would.

i'll get your cones off as soon as I can.

Can you let me know your address please?

:)

regs,

David

DavidF, Jun 4, 2007
  4. zanash

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

you got mail.

sq225917, Jun 4, 2007
  5. zanash

DavidF

thanks

I'll get the cones sorted

DavidF, Jun 4, 2007
  6. zanash

zanash

Any one with a an SB+ should consider using these......

A friend had an sb+ sat on sorbthane pucks .....these were swapped for large discs and 12mm balls....

effect ..greater resolution sharper imaging more tuneful....

very much a surprise for me ...

zanash, Jun 14, 2007
  7. zanash

Nuuk

I was also slightly surprised how much improvement I got for the SB3 when I used a better method of support.

Nuuk, Jun 14, 2007
  8. zanash

DavidF

Thanks very much..........

A few weeks ago i had a plan in the back of my head to amke these and sell a few on in my spare time. To be brief I now discover that wood dust is quite nasty stuff, oak esp and potentially CARCENAGENIC (amonsgt other things).

In short this neatly stuffs my plans! In fact kicks them into touch very nicely. This is at leats until I can find a failsafe method of working so that some thing not nice isn't going to grab in x years time......*

Just one of those things....

*which isn't going to happen.

DavidF, Jun 14, 2007
  9. zanash

zanash

a hoover and a dust mask should do.....

set the hoover nozel close to the work peice so that when you cut saw lathe etc it sucks up the bits .....the nozel can be tapped to the bench to stop it floating about.

Remember when I did your arm board ...I did something similar ....

the dust mask will stop you inhaling anything the hoover misses

the benifit is that this helps you keep your work bench clean and clear of debris ....

Don't get too tied up with the possible carcinogen's....there normally talking about a life times exposure ....asbestos on the other hand can be one exposure......back in the fire service days we had to log every instance we were exposed that could be about once a month . Then you had to recognise it ..god only knows what I've been exposed to !.....all your kit then had to go away to be cleaned .....would you belive sketchleys..wonder if they ever told the women who worked the cleaners ?.

If you know its a problem your part way to solving it ....

zanash, Jun 14, 2007
  10. zanash

DavidF

Yes, I think thats prob true.

The health +safety write up doesn't make for pleasant reading though...I was a bit surprised.

Enquiring a wood working forum this last week, was, frankly (also) a bit of an eye opener!!

It doesn't stop me totally/forever.....but it does need more thought.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2007
    DavidF, Jun 14, 2007
  11. zanash

Nuuk

David, I also have my concerns about the dust, not least because I do all my woodwork in a spare bedroom upstairs.

I expect you need a fair bit of exposure as Zanesh says but I won't be sanding down stuff anymore unless it is outside.

Fortunately, 'my' support system doesn't need wood or much in the way of fabrication.

Nuuk, Jun 14, 2007
  12. zanash

DavidF

Yes, I have been working recently in fairly confined work shop. That method certainly has to change.

I have been totally knocked out these last two weeks with a chesty cough (caught off soem one at work I think) .....its anyones guess how much the turning affcted it....actually my symptoms were mostly dissimilar to those reported.....but the stuff obviously is just not nice......

Mark, any thoughts?

D.

ps Pete has a point I know....but its no good getting 10 years down the road and finding you've got something nasty. Its too late then (or COULD be).

DavidF, Jun 14, 2007
  13. zanash

Knightshade

Zanash's idea about the hoover is pretty good for a start.
    A dust mask is an absolute must, along with ear protection, eye protection etc. It is a pretty dangerous environment if you don't set up adequately.
    Disposable dust masks tend to be a bit rubbish, I use one of these
    You look and sound a bit like Darth Vader but it works very well and the replacement filters are nice and cheap. I really can't stress how good this is just buy one (Trend? and chance of some commission?)
    In my workshop I have 2 industrial dust extractors, one that's wheeled about between equipment and the other is sat between the big saw bench and Planer. Over the lathes I have overhead dust extactors rather like the oven hoods in kitchens which work well. On top of that I have two of these
    Which again are invaluable which run whenever i'm in the workshop.
    Lots of woods can give you nasty surprises be really careful of the exotics, any wood dust tends to get into your lungs, it's certainly worth spending a bit on making the workshop a bit cleaner and clearer rather than going down with something nasty in a few years.
    It's impossible to get dust free, routers are about the worst culprits, even with good extraction they are dusty as hell.
    HTH David.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2007
    Knightshade, Jun 15, 2007
  14. zanash

zanash

thats good advice ....!

zanash, Jun 15, 2007
  15. zanash

DavidF

DavidF, Jun 15, 2007
  16. zanash

DavidF

17. zanash

Knightshade

David, Link now works....
    Yes, I am set up but mine is a production workshop that's been several years in the making, I also have the luxury of space! :)
    It does sound like you're having a 'trial by fire' time of it! :D
    I didn't get on with the Trend all in one too well, I found it a bit cumbersome. I ended up with seperate goggles and ear plugs.

If you're doing a lot of sanding using electric sanders, look at dust extraction for them, most of the good ones Bosch, DeWalt, Festool are pretty much dust free when rigged up to a good extractor.
    The budget Axminster dust extractors and fine filters are pretty good machines for small workshops.

Knightshade, Jun 15, 2007
  18. zanash

DavidF

Mark,

The Axminster looks ok....

Respirators + facemasks etc are no news to me as I did commercial horticulture initially (way back), which involves crop spraying. Also , more recently, I have woked in private gardens doing knapsack spraying.

I;m not a great fan of face masks as you frequently can't see what you're doing. The one you recommend looks ok though.

Yes, as I say, the cold/cough was unbeleivable; how much of it was due to the turning...don't know. Its prob a good job it made me look it up.

Thanks for your help, Mark.

regs,

David

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
    DavidF, Jun 15, 2007
  19. zanash

Nigel

20. zanash

DavidF

interesting....

DavidF, Jun 22, 2007
Ask a Question