zero cost magnetic isolation

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by zanash, Jun 23, 2007.

1. zanash

zanash

could be problematic if you have a tt or a pacemaker

zanash, Jun 24, 2007
  2. zanash

DavidF

good point....?....

DavidF, Jun 24, 2007
  3. zanash

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Hmm, maybe maybe not ... I installed one of the new Clearaudio decks with the opposing magnet bearings last week ... It sounded superb ... Those magnets are nowhere near as strong as you would need to float a heavy piece of kit as they are only holding up the platter and don't actually float it anyway, just take a large part of the pressure off ... on the other hand they come within centimetres of the cartridge at the end of side to no apparent ill effect.

Uncle Ants, Jun 24, 2007
  4. zanash

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I-S, Jun 24, 2007
  5. zanash

zanash

opinion revised !

zanash, Jun 24, 2007
  6. zanash

well like I say, maybe maybe not ... they are weaker but come pretty close to he cartridge. DIY HiFi supply used to do a magnetic platform which was supposed to work fine with turntables

Uncle Ants, Jun 24, 2007
  7. zanash

Parkandbike

Experience beats paranoia

Glad to hear that magnets appear not to cause any ill effects. My question was simply a question, not a suggestion that there would be a problem, and it's good to hear some results that help answer it.

I look forward to hearing how more energetic people than I get on with developing this idea.

Best wishes

Parkandbike, Jun 24, 2007
  8. zanash

Hmm well I'm not sure that it wouldn't possibly cause a problem. To levitate the platform and a turntable for example would require far stronger magnets than to take some of the weight off a platter.

Uncle Ants, Jun 24, 2007
  9. zanash

Effem Cable manufacturer

That's all when all good if the base is not loaded or under full load. Move the base a couple of millimetres either way and the magnets do all sort of strange things :eek:

How about using the magnets with a hole through the centre and using a low friction PTFE rod vertically through all the magnets for keeping it on track?

Effem, Jun 24, 2007
  10. zanash

Dom_ --->

This is what i suggested except using nylon rods as it is more rigid than ptfe.

Dom_, Jun 24, 2007
  11. zanash

Effem Cable manufacturer

I didn't actually know which was more rigid Dom, the PTFE or the nylon, I was just looking at the friction properties of the PTFE. How about PTFE tube/sleeving over a brass/steel rod?

Effem, Jun 24, 2007
  12. zanash

dean.l

how about 4 ferrofluid dampers, one on each corner, and a magnet on each corner to act as a spring ?

or I guess you could have a base a bit bigger than the platform with four posts, then attach fishing line to each corner not enough to support the thing just to stabilise it. ?

can you not just hang the unit rather than float it? IE magnets on top ? might make it a bit more stable?

this would work but would need to be massive http://home.earthlink.net/~lenyr/levmag.htm ?

how about using air instead ?
    just use the ball bearing / cone method, with a hole or holes in the cone where the ball meets it,use a fish tank air pump to blow air through it (using a large air reservoir and a sound proofed box to keep the pump quiet) and epoxy the ball in another cone upside down, fixed permanently to the platform?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
    dean.l, Jun 24, 2007
  13. zanash

zanash

Thats the way I'm going ....three 1mm brass rods with ptfe sleeve, a second sleeve will be used for the top floating plate.

as set up now....

the magnet is threaded onto the rod and a second magnet placed so that it opposes the first ....the top plate has a hole that the rod fits through and allows vertical movement. The top plate sit on the top [floating magnet]. The unit just works ..in that I have about 2mm of repulsion with my cdp sat on the top plate ...this give reasonable isolation across the freq range [using the stethescope] ..

how does it it sound ....it was immediately apparent that the bass had increased and some extra resolution ...this was using the quad 99 as dac only to my squeezebox3 ...

I'm going to add more magnets [currently using 3 pairs of 10 mm dia ] and see if I can get a bigger lift.

zanash, Jun 25, 2007
  14. zanash

Parkandbike

"can you not just hang the unit rather than float it? IE magnets on top ? might make it a bit more stable?"

If you mean to use magnetic attraction rather than replusion, I would have thought that the inverse suare law would mean you would never get the thing stable, the magnets would either stick together if they got to close or the suspended unit would fall to the floor if it got a little too far away.

Repulsion shoudl be the more stable solution since the repulsive force increases as the magnets get closer.

Aolologies if I misunderstood the suggestion.

Parkandbike, Jun 25, 2007
  15. zanash

dean.l

dean.l, Jun 25, 2007
  16. zanash

Uncle Ants, Jun 25, 2007
  17. zanash

Speedy381

Has anyone found any calculations for the weight that can be supported by the magnets?

I would like to order some, but don't want to end up 'bottoming out' just with the weight of a shelf, or having to use 20 magnets to levitate. I think the nylon line securing corners is a good idea; each shelf would have to be tuned for tension and binding, dependent on weight.
    Think of the fun; dress your LP12 arm cable, then dress its' support cables. Endless.

So, back on track, what strength magnets do we need for which piece of equipment. Ebay beckons.

Ian

Speedy381, Jun 25, 2007
  18. zanash

Uncle Ants, Jun 25, 2007
  19. zanash

Effem Cable manufacturer

Effem, Jun 25, 2007
  20. zanash

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

stretch a cut o ring between the top and bottom bit under tension due to repulsion and lock it in place with grub screws.

sq225917, Jun 25, 2007
Ask a Question