Zerocost equipment feet

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by zanash, Oct 26, 2006.

1. zanash

zanash

At the heathrow show there were any number of equipment supports from the likes of quadraspires who had a superb range of racks to there small equipment feet, that in demos were clearly audible. These got me thinking [that must be a first] firstly why, then how, then can I do the same?

Well as some of you know I'm a dowser and with a problem I often whip out the rods to get another option. In this case the question was can I make some that will be nearly as effective as the £30 perspex ones from the above mentioned. The answer was of course yes ...... That all well and good but where to from here ? so then I asked the rods as you have to, where can I get the parts this time I'm asking for a dirrection ....no suprise here they point into town . I just need to triangulate so it off out in the car and drive a couple of miles into town and try again ...oh back out of town . I'm thinking B&Q but no when I got there I'm pointed up the road half a mile to Wicks.

Well wicks is a big store and there I am with my rods trying to look inconspicuos and failing ......stilll I'm dirrected to the tiling supplies and then to ........

A bag of 250 floor tile spacers for £3 then on a whim I asked the rods if there were anything else that would be of use. I ended up getting a thick set of foam pipe insulation [more of latter].

These tile spacers are bigger than wall tile spacer and have holes in the plastic. These holes are big enough to allow the leg of one cross to be pushed through another forming a deformed caltrip .

if you drop the caltrip it will sit itself on three legs with the other three waving in the air. I built a load and placed three under a AA5 I was modding but it was to heavy over the transformer side so placed another on there, the third one went under the spindle and the last one at the back ..... hey thats different. With a positive result, I experimented on a number of cdp ....with similar results there little change to the sound in the sense of more bass or treble ....but what happens is that the image jumps into focus .

Why does this work ?

No idea ...I could tell you about micro vibrations or decoupling the chassis from the equipment support....even the rods are unclear [I'm asking the wrong questions?]

But they do work very well with the four systems and 8 cdps I tried so far.

Now what about heavy gear ? amps etc. .....

I decided to try the simple expedient of stacking thes crosses on top of each other .....but you need something to hold them together ....!! blutac

So I think a good height is 5 crosses stacked with a pea sized blob of gloop holding it all together. results were impressive on daveF's naim pre and power.

Foam feet ....

I cut the foam into 3" donuts with a hacksaw blade , I cut enough to decouple/support my speakers [ML aerius i's] took out the mopads I'd been using and fitted the donuts ......result are very similar to the mopads. The mopads cost £40 the foam cost £3 !

I used a similar idea on daveF's speaker Ruark sceptres one set under the speaker stands and another under the speakers. This eliminated a bass rumble that accompanied all the music, at first it sounded as if the bass had vanished , but swapping tracks it was clear the bass was still present in spades but only when it was supposed to be there. Imagining and sweetness were the two words that kept coming to mind as we listened to various tracks.

I'll post a pic or two so you can see the idea with the tile spacers ...

but for a total of £6 you'll have enough material to kit out about 10 systems ........ even if your not gobsmacked I'm certain the improvments will bring a smile.

You don't need to do the dowsing bit either!

I did dream that I cut 1cm donuts of foam making ideal cable lifters ......but thats another story !

zanash, Oct 26, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. zanash

STELLABAGPUSS Happy Chappy

Great Stuff Pete,great if you can post some pictures, what's more it's something everyone can have a go at, for peanuts. All I have to do is locate my local Wicks store! And report back !

STELLABAGPUSS, Oct 26, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. zanash

zanash

Here's a pic of the feet .....

top right fully assemble bottom rioght part assembled and a single floor tile spacer ...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2007
    zanash, Oct 26, 2006
  4. zanash

zanash

davef's pic and gear ........

this is the stacked version

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2007
    zanash, Oct 26, 2006
  5. zanash

DavidF

its not normally that mucky..... honest!

DavidF, Oct 26, 2006
  6. zanash

DavidF

DavidF, Oct 27, 2006
  7. zanash

DavidF

8. zanash

DavidF

Does that show you what you wanted to know SBP?

More, no probs.

DavidF, Oct 27, 2006
  9. zanash

midlifecrisis Firm member

is the battery in front of the sandbox there to zap any random EMI floating around? :) I do like the pipe foam idea - I'll give it a go on my spare system between the speakers and their sandstone slabs, bypassing the spikes. only slight worry is instability?

midlifecrisis, Oct 28, 2006
  10. zanash

DavidF

Nice one.

If only the task were achieved so easily!

yes, speaker instability might be an issue if there was any one/thing else here .......but there isn't!

DavidF, Oct 28, 2006
  11. zanash

zanash

you could use many donuts ...probabley dont need to be so thick I was not certain by how much they would squash.

zanash, Oct 28, 2006
  12. zanash

DavidF

Something to come back to, have a play and see what thickness's work the best.

I could do with that test cd, Pete! (I've got one coming)

DavidF, Oct 29, 2006
  13. zanash

Nice Photo's DavidF, certainly gives me food for thought, I will look forward to playing aound wih these tweeks when I get some time !

STELLABAGPUSS, Oct 29, 2006
  14. zanash

DavidF

.......you're welcome.

DavidF, Oct 29, 2006
  15. zanash

DavidF

pete/system

I should, rather belatedly now I fear, mention that my enthusiasm for the changes is mostly due to the fact that Pete (Zanash) very kindly came around to my place (armed with his Berhinger deq 2496 and src) in order to cast his eye on how my system was set up.

He (quite rightly) recommended that the speakers be moved to give them more room; we wanted to implement his ideas of system supports he described in his opening paragraph; I should also point out he also done fantastic work modding my Marantz cdp....... as my soldering skills are very much at the novice stage...

Pete has also advised on various aspects of damping, which I have been able to carry out.

Ran up Joss Stones Mind Body and Soul earlier................its now VERY impressive.....

DavidF, Oct 29, 2006
  16. zanash

zanash

Stella ...I'm posting today!

zanash, Oct 30, 2006
  17. zanash

Thanks pete, how you getting on with the X10 ? have you smashed it up with a hammer yet ! Ha Ha

STELLABAGPUSS, Oct 30, 2006
  18. zanash

zanash

no quite .....its starting to get to me !

Incidently I was down at adam's yesterday and replaced his valves to great effect ....

must sort out some new ones for you ....yes should have already done it ....but got side tracked.[though I think yours are ok]

As to the x10 I should have just recapped it all ...easy said now !

trying to do one at a time may not have been the cleverest move !

zanash, Oct 30, 2006
  19. zanash

speedy.steve

Having a lathe and some oak bar lying around, I turned up some cone feet, ala Russ A, at zero cost.
    They did change the sound of the equipment quite noticeably.
    I lent a few sets to some pals and most of them came back with the comment, "what's in them feet then?"...
    Never got them back and they are still in use so I conclude they liked them.

speedy.steve, Oct 30, 2006
  20. zanash

zanash

yes I've used similar wooden feet ...but these are more effective in my system anyway.

zanash, Nov 1, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question