£500 budget. floorstanders or standmounts

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lozzertron12, Jul 23, 2014.

1. lozzertron12

lozzertron12

I will get my first proper paycheck soon, and i will have 500£ to spend on hifi equipment. i need an amp and speakers. I already have a decent project turntable and marantz cd player, and i listen to a bit of music through my pcs soundcard, but mostly records and cds (all genres except pop). my room has wooden floorboards and is 6m by 8m. My options so far are: tannoy mercury v4 + Yamaha a s500, or marantz pm6005 + dali zensor 3.

I am open to any other combinations, but i would prefer to buy online. Thanks for any responses!

lozzertron12, Jul 23, 2014
  2. lozzertron12

Tenson Moderator

I'd definitely recommend active speakers as they give much better sound for the money, especially in this price range.

Active speakers have amps built in and one per driver rather than one per speaker. The circuit that splits the highs and lows (crossover) comes before the amps rather than after and this has many advantages. Hence you will find almost all pro studios using active speakers.

You'd need a pre-amp to control volume and select source, although some actives have this inside too.

I'd suggest a combo such as a pair of Behringer B2030A (£250) or well there isn't much else as good for the price... plus pretty much any pre-amp you like from eBay (Cambridge, AudioLab, Quad, [​IMG], Some Passive Preamp) etc...

Tenson, Jul 24, 2014
Ask a Question