100v to 240v conversion

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by monty99, May 20, 2010.

1. monty99

monty99

Is there such a thing as a high-quality voltage converter that would deliver 100v or 110v /60hz to a component, that would provide equivalent sound quality to its 'native' 240v/50hz equivalent?

Given that a lot of mains foo is isolation transformer based, could it be wrapped up into a power conditioner?

And does anyone offer such a beastie (or would it be buildable by someone who knew what they were doing?). You'd have thought there was a gap in the market for such a device given that 100v or 110v kit tends to be very cheap once it gets to Europe.

I once bought a £40 jobbie off ebay to power a 47 Labs transport which used a 100v PSU to generate twin AC rails of 24v, the sound quality was fine for that level of current but I doubt it would do for a higher current device ... I'm thinking something capable of powering something like a Japanese market top-quality valve amp takes a fair amount of current ...

monty99, May 20, 2010
  2. monty99

Parkandbike

Voltage conversion is fairly easy. In fact I have a spare 2kVA isolation transformer which can step down range of voltages to 110v. However you obviously cannor change frequency with a transformer. I think some of the earlier PS Audio devices offered frequency conversion. You may not need to change frequency, but I have found that the transformers in some kit designed for 60Hz tend to buzz at 50hz.

Parkandbike, May 20, 2010
Ask a Question