2.1 Connections

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Sonic, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Sonic

Sonic

Howdy,
    Setup: a) Arcam SA20 integrated amp b) Bluesound node 2i 3) Yamaha 600 CD player 4) B&W CM5 speakers 5) SVS SB12 NSD subwoofer.
    The Arcam has a preout. The sub has a low level in, line out, high pass out.
    I've always used my subwoofer with an AVR which handled bass management. I now have a 2 channel integrated amp. I'm not dead set on going 2.1 but I need to listen this way to make up my mind. I'm confused about the proper way to connect the sub to the amp. It appears there are a few ways to feed the sub a signal so I'll post a few photos and some diagrams. I'd appreciate any help I can get with this.

I should say don't assume I'm familiar with terminology. I kind of need detailed descriptions of what wire/cable goes out from where and in to where. Thanks. (Ideally if possible I'd like to engage crossover of the mains to the sub at 80Hz. My subs high pass out has an 80Hz set point but I'm not sure if that's an option.

arcam_sa20_and_sa10_rear__large_full.jpg
    image.jpg
    Dkex7TG (1).png

Sonic, Aug 31, 2020
  2. Sonic

Sergeauckland

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I don't see the difference between your two options, as the way I read them, both sub and 'speakers are in parallel either way. I may have missed something.

As to the best way of connecting your system, your amplifier has a pre-amp out, but no main amplifier in, so you can't use the sub's high-pass out as there's no way I can see of getting that back into the amp. You need a main-in for that.

So, what I would do is to connect your 'speakers to the amp in the normal way, then take a pair of cables from the pre-amp out of the amplifier into the sub low-level in. That way, the 'speakers will run full-range and the sub fills in under them. Unfortunately, you won't be able to benefit from the sub's high-pass out which would have helped with power handling of the main 'speakers and reduce distortion. Nevertheless, it will allow you to decide whether 2.1 is right for you.

Hope this helps

S.

Sergeauckland, Aug 31, 2020
  3. Sonic

Sonic

Perfect. Exactly what I needed. Thank you!

Sonic, Aug 31, 2020
Ask a Question