24/192 DAC/Preamp in one wanted

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by COOLGUY, Apr 9, 2007.

1. COOLGUY

COOLGUY

Hi. I have recently obtained a digital transport with high resolution output/it is a modification, see www.audiopraise.com, enables digital output of Red Book CD/DVD-A/ SACD digital from a modded dvda/sacd player/.
    I am currently using a Lavry Engineering DA10 DAC with regulated volume control.
    In the near future, I would like to upgrade the DAC. I sold my analog preamp as I no longer need it. The Lavry in fact is quite good, but I wonder if anybody can suggest something that meets these requirements:
    - 24bit/96/khz, preferably 24/192 digital input
    - regulated analogue output, preferably XLR,
    - remote preferred not a must
    - devices with original innovative solutions preferred to things assembled from mass produced ICs, but this not a must, as the innovative solutions cost a fortune
    - I would like to get within 2000-3000 EUR new price, 50% of this second hand.. this is a problem I know

I have been researching this on the web for a while.. I found three categories of product
    - DAC with regulated volume/like the Lavry/. These are preferable, as they should have maximum of the engineering effort focused on the dAC side. However, the "elite" seems to shun the regulated output an example is http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/stello_dp200.htm-

Preamps with a DAC: often a preamp with a DAC module stuck in. Little info available on the insides of the dAC... example, advance acoustic 505 preamp

- high end multichannel surround processors, room correctors: TACT, and the new Linn Exotik. I love the look of the Linn. Drawback: I dont need multichannel so I end up paying for function I do not use. Also, zilch information as to the DACs included.
    - this transport I have has a lot of potential, but it is hard to find a DAC to match it... any comment, advice wellcome.
    thanks

COOLGUY, Apr 9, 2007
  2. COOLGUY

COOLGUY

- I would like to avoid the need for a separate analogue preamp... it adds cost, and you have to worry about interactions between Preamp/DAC... I would rather throw my money at a good DAC with above features, than a dac with fixed output level + preamp. But the requirement of good volume regulation narrows the selection a lot.
    -btw, I slighlty prefer regulation in the analogue domain rather than digital. This may be a superstition on my side, comments welcome.. the Bel Canto is an example in hand, it is quite expensive but I believe has digital volume control. i dont say digital volume control is bad, but I believe only the absolute top can do it, like Wadia

COOLGUY, Apr 9, 2007
  3. COOLGUY

Tenson Moderator

Hi,

I have a rather innovative solution to suggest. I have sent you a 'pm' as it is a bit long winded! :)

Tenson, Apr 10, 2007
  4. COOLGUY

iansr

Coolguy
    i think the newish Bel Canto DAC 3 may meet your requirements. And USB input. Its had good reviews too. If you get one it would be great if you posted your impressions.

(I have no connection with BC, just been reading about them recently)

iansr, Apr 15, 2007
  5. COOLGUY

jaspal kallar

jaspal kallar, Apr 16, 2007
  6. COOLGUY

Shuggie

Shuggie, Apr 16, 2007
  7. COOLGUY

digital convert

digital convert, Apr 16, 2007
  8. COOLGUY

tuga

tuga, Apr 16, 2007
  9. COOLGUY

liamjf

TAG AVR192? About £2000 second hand

Liam.

liamjf, Apr 16, 2007
  10. COOLGUY

Ken

I have been reading a lot about the Monarchy Audio M24 DAC.

I believe it could fit the bill for what you are looking for.

They have 230 volt / 50 Hz available.

Price is $1080 plus shipping by Fed Ex.

http://monarchyaudio.com/

Ken

Ken, Apr 17, 2007
  11. COOLGUY

COOLGUY

thanks. The Cyrus XP I thought about . Thing is the requirement for volume control filters out so many good units... in the end I might be forced to think about a preamp... Bel Canto I have read about too. A bit pricey .. and also I have some superstition against digital domain volume attenuation. Even though Bel Canto may have had a reason to attenuate in the digital domain. The Lyngdorf probably will be a Tact in disguise, or maybe not... and it sure is not cheap, 4500 EURO or so. Anybody has experience with MSB? shame only their 6000+USD units have volume control. If there was something good second hand, it may be cheaper actually to get a s/h preamp as well.

COOLGUY, Apr 22, 2007
  12. COOLGUY

COOLGUY

monarchy looks interesting. I have zero experience with tube equipment... I auditioned a tube heaphone amp once and was not impressed

COOLGUY, Apr 22, 2007
Ask a Question