300B monoblocks with Sophia Meshplate tubes

Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by audioboy2468, Apr 25, 2010.

1. audioboy2468

audioboy2468

Aural Thrills 300B Monoblocks, Tube Rectified w/ Sophia Mesh Plates
    Asking £900.00 obo
    New Retail £2,200
    Condition: Original Owner, fewer than 200 hours ( 9/10 )
    Ship from 45 lbs
    Ship to Worldwide
    Included Manual
    Pay Terms Money Order, Personal Check, PayPal

Putting out 8 powerful watts per channel this amp can drive most speakers. This amplifier has been designed by Gary Dodd of Dodd Audio (USA). The amp can drive speakers with a 87db rating to very acceptable levels. I had it built for 230 volt operation, 4 or 8 ohm output. Construction details include only top line parts. Sonicap, Neutrik connectors, and more. A separate power box provides very quiet operation. By isolating the power supply from the output transformers this design achieves* less hum and better sound staging. The signal tubes included are 7044s, which produce a larger soundstage and more natural presentation than the 5687s, which are the other choice for this circuit.

The supplied pair of 300B's are the highly regarded Sophia Mesh Plates. The transformers are custom wound exclusively for this amp.*No one else has them. 10 H chokes provide the quietest possible with 5u4 rectification. Of course, being a single ended triode design, no negative feedback is used. Point to point wiring is included throughout and a minimalist design ethic is employed.* It is as close as you can get to just a wire and a tube.

The power supply for the 300B filaments is AC. Most amp builders switch to DC to reduce noise. The problem is that doing so completely takes the magic out of this legendary tube. It also shortens the life of your high dollar 300B tubes. All Capacitors used in the power supply are bypassed with film caps which yields a very rich, open sound. Proper shielding, routing of wires, and a separate power supply box result in AC being very quiet and the sound is superior in every regard. DC is the easy way out resulting in a very thin sounding amp. You have not heard the beauty of this tube unless you have heard it with AC!

l Film Cap Power Supply
    l Standard 5u4 rectification
    l 10 H Choke
    l Massively overbuilt transformers
    l Available with 274b choke input
    l Sonicap
    l Neutrik Connectors
    l AC Heating
    l Separate power supply
    l Very Quiet
    l High Current, easily runs 88db speakers

Let me know if you have questions. I will post pictures soon.

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2010
    audioboy2468, Apr 25, 2010
  2. audioboy2468

audioboy2468

Bump

audioboy2468, May 11, 2010
  3. audioboy2468

revahi

Interested but please read below

Hi there! I'm looking for a 300B based tube amp for my Yamaha NS-2000 since I heard a pair driven by an amp based on Western Electric 300B based amp that costed something about £5000!
    Currently looking at an Ebay Audion Silver night amplifier.
    It's quite confusing though, I've heard that these tube amps are the best match for the Beryllium driver based speakers, I'm still researching. What's your experience with this combination?
    I believe something like this should get an audition first.
    I am currently using Chord SPM600 / Chord CPM2200 amp integrated amp combination, although it's very clear, nothing from the recording is missing I feel something about it is too hard.
    I live in North London and have my own transport, but please let me hear your thoughts on this first.
    PS This is my first post on Zerogain please forgive me if it doesn't come over quiet so polished.:)

revahi, May 11, 2010
  4. audioboy2468

audioboy2468

revahi,

I can't comment on beryllium based speakers or Chord amps, as I have no experience with these. I'm happy to arrange an audition if you like. These amps are really quite nice. I'm in the process of moving, so couldn't host an audition, but happy to bring the amps to you to try in your setup.

audioboy2468, May 12, 2010
  5. audioboy2468

audioboy2468

I used these in my main rig for another couple of months, but have decided once again to sell them. I'm lowering the price to £975.00 to move quickly. I've also moved to Chalfont St. Giles. Don't know how to edit my original post.

Steve

audioboy2468, Oct 18, 2010
  6. audioboy2468

aertex

Steve
    please check your email/pm's regarding your drivers. I could be interested in these amps too.

cheers
    Alan

aertex, Nov 7, 2010
  7. audioboy2468

audioboy2468

300b Amps

Alan,

Saw your post. Let me know if you want to do a package deal on teh 300Bs and the Supravox's. They're a really nice combination!

Steve

audioboy2468, Nov 7, 2010
  8. audioboy2468

audioboy2468

One final bump before they go to A'gon or eBay

audioboy2468, Nov 22, 2010
Ask a Question