500 quid

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DavidF, Aug 29, 2009.

1. DavidF

DavidF

Hi

As in title I have been given a bit of dosh to do just what I like with.

Hitting on a D70/D50 off e bay was my first thought, as an experiment against my aging nikon 5700.. I ve always fancied a pop at one (apols to Mr C. I know a canon man).

I was just wondring what my best options are here, has anyone had good, bad , indifferent experinces buying that way?

I'm really not sure whcich way to play this as yet and i'm not doing anything for a moment but i'm intereted in ideas +good bad stories.

New/s.h./refurb etc (old prof dslr amy be)

I know, I know, its not hifi, it just suits me to do something a bit different and some thing my dad can appreciate too.

tia

D.

DavidF, Aug 29, 2009
  2. DavidF

Tenson Moderator

Funny, I had a 5700, and about 2 months ago bought a D60. I liked it so much, but decided I'd like some of the features of the higher range so today I bought a D5000.

I'll put my D60 on eBay in a while so keep an eye out lol!

I think Nikons like the D60 take better pics than the Canon 1000D and 450D. I think the camera bodies are about equal, but the Nikon bundle lens is far superior.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2009
    Tenson, Aug 30, 2009
  3. DavidF

DavidF

I like the solid feel to the 5700.

Its (almost) always dona ok.

I think it get exposure nice (albe it with some blown highlights), does colours well if focusing is a BIT soft at times.

Its taken being dropped twice.

DavidF, Aug 30, 2009
  4. DavidF

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Depends on the canon kit lens. The 18-55 is a very poor lens. The 18-55 IS is an excellent lens, especially for a kit lens.

Both canon and Nikon make good bodies. Both make good lenses and have good systems (which is where the competition fall down).

I disagree strongly with
    because I think that photographers take pictures. I don't believe that I'd make a spectacularly different beef stroganoff using Le Creuset cookware to the stroganoff I make using ProCook.

Some people get on better with Nikon's interface, others get on better with Canon's. Earlier this year I bought my partner an EOS 1000D, after we looked at both it and the D60 in the shop. I've been very impressed with the image quality of the 1000D. To my mind it is slightly better than that of the D60:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1000d/page28.asp

DP review also miss out on one of the more significant post-processing capabilities that canon have provided in DPP, which is that it can automatically correct vignetting and distortion for canon lenses.

As for me, nikon have only just got on the full-frame bandwagon, and still don't offer the lenses that I want, thus I'm happy with canon and with my current lens collection kicking around £4k, I'm unlikely to change.

I-S, Aug 30, 2009
  5. DavidF

Tenson Moderator

Interesting comparison of the D60 and 1000D. Here is one where I think the D60 lens gives better results - http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Nikon-D60-Compared-to-Canon-Rebel-XS-1000D.shtml

I just spent a few days going round Paris with my girlfriend. She has a 1000D and I had the D60, both with kit lens'. Both turned out good photos, but I am pleased with my Nikon as I think the photos look more natural.

I really love my new D5000 with 18-105mm VR lens!!

Anyway David, I think with £500 you should look at a newer model than a D70/50. If you want to stick with Nikon then the D60 or maybe the newer D3000 + kit lens would make you very happy!

[​IMG]

Tenson, Aug 30, 2009
  6. DavidF

DavidF

Yes, a mate from work has said the same thing.

Agreed, the d70 is too old now.

I don't necessarly want to blow the whole lot on a camera but I agree a D70 is not the answer.

See what offers turn up.

DavidF, Aug 31, 2009
  7. DavidF

DavidF

Coming up to date with the technology should cure one or two ills with 5700.

For starters a start up speed of 0.18 seconds sounds a bit faster than mine at 3 to 4 seconds.

I've lost MANY pics due to this.

but I am pleased with my Nikon as I think the photos look more natural.

soiunds encouraging thats why i like the 5700

DavidF, Aug 31, 2009
  8. DavidF

Tenson Moderator

Just because it's interesting, here are two very similar photos. One taken on my D60 and one on my girls 1000D. I think her photo is actually the better composed (she was more central, and I cropped them to be as similar as possible), but it's a good comparison.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tenson, Aug 31, 2009
  9. DavidF

DavidF

Interesting.

I take it the first one is the nikon?

DavidF, Aug 31, 2009
  10. DavidF

sammyo

Interesting, the first one is much better (though I agree that the second is better composed).

sammyo, Aug 31, 2009
  11. DavidF

Tenson Moderator

Yeah

Tenson, Aug 31, 2009
  12. DavidF

DavidF

How do the menues on the d60 compare with the 5700 Simon?

My Dads old Canon s2 (which I now have) has a much reduced range of optiions,then again I've fouind the nikon a bit overly complicated at times.

DavidF, Sep 1, 2009
  13. DavidF

Tenson Moderator

It's a completely differnt interface, so being familiar with the 5700 won't help you, but it is fast to learn and has some good auto functions to get you going. The Nikon manual is very good, too.

Tenson, Sep 1, 2009
Ask a Question