75 ohm coax connector ?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Andrewxyz, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Andrewxyz

Andrewxyz

My Audiolab tuner is fed by a 4' x 5' Triax antennae in my loft. The cable is crimped directly onto the antennae which is fine but the coax plug connecting to the tuner itself is a horrible aluminium job and every time I move the tuner it comes apart. I've soldered the central conductor it's the bit that grips the braided screen thats the problem.

I've looked for better quality connectors in the Maplin catalogue but they just seem to have more of the same.

Can anyone recommend a better connector ?

Thanks

Andrew

Andrewxyz, Jul 16, 2004
  2. Andrewxyz

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

This type of connector varies. Some are good, some are not so good. They should be firmly crimped to the cable, as the shielding efficiency is fairly key to their performance. If it has been taken off and put on a few times it may well be a bit loose. Buy a new one and give it a go, as it's only a few pence.

I-S, Jul 16, 2004
  3. Andrewxyz

Andrewxyz

Thanks Isaac, I'll see what I can find locally.

Andrew

Andrewxyz, Jul 17, 2004
  4. Andrewxyz

skp574

I find the best solution is to use a crimped F-type connector, used for satellite receivers and DAB tuners, then use a screw on F-type to female belling-lee into the tuner itself. It gives a more solid connection and it less prone to fatigue.

Screw-on belling-lee connectors are crap. They do not work very well with Sky remote eyes. I always use an F-type first on CT-100 then use an appropriate adaptor. Try to use a crimp F not a screw on. Even the Confederation of Aerial Industries (CAI) recommends crimped versions where possible. I use Cablecon connectors.

HTH

skp574, Jul 22, 2004
Ask a Question