A Resistor or what?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by shade23, Jan 7, 2023.

1. shade23

shade23

I have been everywhere but I never get the same answer. This is what I believe to be a resistor and it is wired in parallel with the off-on switch on my REC-O-KUT T12 turntable. I think it either stabilizes the motor speed or reduces hum. It is bad and the turntable plays fine without it but I want to keep it original. The color coding is faded but it appears to be tan or yellow, orange, red, violet and the tolerance band would be tan or yellow. It is 3/8" X 1/1/4" and has a plastic covering. Any ideas? Resistor.jpg Thank you

shade23, Jan 7, 2023
  2. shade23

Arkless Electronics

It is a capacitor. To be more precise it is an American made Sprague "bumblebee" capacitor. The colours are rather faded and difficult to read but it appears to be 0.047uF and this would be a pretty normal value for a switch suppressor capacitor, which is the function here. It is not critical in value but for safety reasons, if replacing it then you MUST use a modern "X Class" safety capacitor, (X2 generally) designed for this use.
    Or just leave it out. It's there mainly to help reduce any click or crack through the speakers as the switch is operated and to maximise switch life by suppressing arcing across the contacts.

Arkless Electronics, Jan 7, 2023
    Sergeauckland likes this.
  3. shade23

shade23

Thanks so much, this is the answer I have been looking for. Thank you!!

shade23, Jan 7, 2023
  4. shade23

Arkless Electronics

My pleasure:)

Arkless Electronics, Jan 7, 2023
Ask a Question