Advice on, and Source, for capacitors

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Parkandbike, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Parkandbike

Parkandbike

Hi

I'm using Quad ESL63s with Gradient SW63s. Until recently I was using a stepped-ladder-attenuator as a volume control and had adopted a very good tweak from Mats Törnqvist's site (http://user.tninet.se/~vhw129w/mt_audio_design/index.htm). This routes the signal to the amp driving the Quads via a capacitor rather than via the Gradient cross-over. Suitably chosen the capacitor rolls-off the Quads below ~ 100hz and alters the phase such that at ~ 100hz it is in-phase with the Gradients (once the signal leads to these have been reversed). [By the way if there is anyone out there using ESL63s with SW63s, this is a "must try" tweak, very cheap, totally reversible and with a fantastic benefit!]

Recently I have replaced the stepped attenuator with a Promitheus Ref 4 TVC (thanks Larkrise!). Initially I connected the TVC directly to my main amp and accepted that I would have a rather uneven respsonse as the SWs kicked in. I was really impressed by the detail and sense of depth in the sound, but obviously I needed to sort out the lower end.

Currently I have my old capacitors (Musicaps- I think) sitting bewteen in and out terminals in a separate enclosure. Obviously this requires another set of interconnects and is less than ideal. The frequency response is now more even, but I think some of that stunning detail has been lost.

Hence, I want to try a solution which eliminates the need for the extra interconnects - and that, finally, brings me to my requests for advice (apologies for the long-ramble).

A) Any views on what would be suitable makes of capacitors for this duty (I need 33nF, but only need 2)
    B) Any ideas on suitable suppliers (I'm UK based)
    C) I read somewhere (one of Zanash's posts?), that it is always advisable to by-pass capacitors with smaller ones of about 10% of the value. Would that practice be applicable in this application?
    D) Is there any reason why the tweak described above would not work with a TVC?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Parkandbike, Apr 9, 2007
  2. Parkandbike

felix part-time Horta

If all you need is 33nF, which is a pretty tiny cap, then the choice has to be film types - preferably polystyrene (usualluy only available in 10nF and below) or polypropylene. Have a look at Rapid Electronics here here for Wima FKP2s; you could make up the value you need by paralleling 3 x 10nF + 330pF. These are film+foil types, and simply outstanding capacitors albeit small values. An equivalent choice would be these Wima MKS2, 1 x 33nF. I really like the MKS2 for coupling and decoupling applications - they really are about as good as it gets, and comonly avaiable up to 3.3uF.

Bypassing is of no use for film caps. It's usually recommended as a patch for the worst properties of large electrolytic caps, and even then it's definitely a Faustian bargain. Usually it is better to use one, good-quality cap IME.

felix, Apr 9, 2007
  3. Parkandbike

zanash

I'd agree with that ....or try paper in oil I've some 0.22uf if you want to try them ...pm me

zanash, Apr 10, 2007
Ask a Question