Advice Regarding my Salvage Claim Issue

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ali_x, Feb 4, 2016.

1. ali_x

ali_x

Hi all,

I'm writing this post as I need some advice and I'm hoping somebody may be able to help.

Recently I sold my Cd Player and used a courier to deliver the item to my buyer.

This courier completely botched and gave terrible service. Once the cd player arrived with my buyer it had internal damage, a broken disc tray flap and also 3 out of 4 metal feet (which had been glued on firmly) had come clean off (bearing in mind that the unit had been well packaged, wrapped in bubble wrap and marked clearly as being fragile).

I obviously had chosen to cover the item for any damages although foolishly didn't quite do so for its entire full sale value.

I have now refunded my buyer and lost out pretty badly due to the situation and existing costs involved (postage/ebay/etc).

This cd player had been modded with internal upgrades (never connected and Trichord clock) and so I decided that if I was going to send back my cd player to be salvaged in order to get as full a refund as possible I would surely want to make sure I took these pricey mods out (which I have now done).

I currently have got a collection by the courier for the salvage scheduled in order for my refund to be processed but have now started to worry about how thoroughly couriers would likely inspect an electrical item like a cd player before they will issue their refund.

Does anyone know how thorough a salvage inspection of electrical items is by couriers?. Are they likely to open it up to check internally and to make sure that all the parts and wires are properly connected?.

If you can help with any advice I will be dearly grateful.

Thanks!. Alex.

ali_x, Feb 4, 2016
  2. ali_x

Daniel Quinn

This will depend on

a] courier
    b] how much money is at stake .
    c] If the matter goes via the insurer

A courier/insurer will always seek to mitigate any claim ,if repair is viable then they will clearly send it to some one who does know .

opening the cd player to take out mods as mudded the water and if i was a being mischievous I would suggest you have attempted to defraud the company . Your claim was for one thing , it is now effectively for another . You do not say what state the cd player would have been in if perfect and you had taken out the mods .

As always these matters are determined by the contract of insurance .

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    Daniel Quinn, Feb 4, 2016
  3. ali_x

ali_x

Thanks for the reply Daniel.

The courier is Yodel.

The cover is for £400 worth and so quite a decent value which I guess they may likely want a thorough check for.

If in perfect condition as posted the cd player would have been both functional and including the mods.

Like you mention it is definitely fraudulent unfortunately the more I consider how it may be serious despite the completely abysmal service they have given and I obviously don't need any trouble with regards to something more serious as that.

I have been considering going for the option which they offer where I can arrange for repairs and then send them an invoice. Since the repairs will also include re fitting the mods it their current state of removal shouldn't really he a problem as it will simply seemingly be a part of repairing what they had already broken.

ali_x, Feb 4, 2016
  4. ali_x

Daniel Quinn

IMO the fact it would have worked with or without the mods is a good thing . Also the repair option is a good idea . Additionally ,if you claim for the cost of it then just claim the cost of it without the mods .

the problem you have got with a pedantic couriers is that in their eyes you tampered with a damage product and this opens the question of who damaged what .

Daniel Quinn, Feb 5, 2016
  5. ali_x

ali_x

I'm fairly certain im going to go with the repair job and have contacted Yodel to inform them and they are fine with this.

I have in fact found/realised that the cd player won't work now without the mods so these will need to be re fitted (and so will have to be careful what the repair job note states and may in fact need to re install them as a seperate job if necessary to once again avoid any defraud).

I have obviously made even more of a pickle out of an already pickly situation by removing the mods!.

The cd player is a Roksan and currently the front flap which opens forward in front of the cd tray (when it opens outwards) is now currently simply hanging downwards instead of its closed position. I'm not entirely certain whether or not this can be fixed and that if it is possible it would require someone who deals with or has a good amount of know how on how to repair Roksan cd players in particular?!.

ali_x, Feb 6, 2016
Ask a Question