AKAI 208D-SS problem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by shade23, Feb 17, 2022.

1. shade23

shade23

I just purchased an Akai 208D-SS Quad reel to reel along with a Pioneer QX9900 receiver. Both are in perfect condition but I had a little speaker static so I cleaned both units and did a DeoxIT D5 on both units.
    Before I cleaned the Akai unit it had static on both front speakers and the 2 VU meters would be erratic, then after the unit warmed up I would lose almost all volume on one speaker and the # 2 VU meter would have no movement.
    If it sits for quite some time the Akai will play beautiful and then after a short while the whole issue starts over again. I am using a quad tape to test with.
    Could the problem be capacitors, I don't want to spend a fortune but both units look brand new and do have beautiful sound.
    Thanks so much!!

shade23, Feb 17, 2022
  2. shade23

Sergeauckland

Could be capacitors, could be any other component that's drifting after getting warm. Impossible to say without having it on the bench and tracing some signals through the good and bad channels to see where the fault(s) are. Regardless of cosmetic condition, component aging happens. At least good cosmetic condition indicates it's been well looked after and stored. It needs looking into by someone with the knowledge and test equipment to do it properly.

S

Sergeauckland, Feb 17, 2022
  3. shade23

shade23

Thanks so much, I will wait until I find someone that is qualified. I don't want a bunch of runny solder all over a circuit board. Thank You

shade23, Feb 17, 2022
Ask a Question