Amp & speaker upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Chairman Bill, May 7, 2010.

1. Chairman Bill

Chairman Bill

I've been out of the hi-fi upgrade path for quite some time, but now feel the need to move things along a bit. I'm happy with my vinyl source (LP12, OL modded RB250 tone arm, Rega cartridge) at the moment, and the Musical Fidelity A3 CD player seems fine, so will probably stay for now too.

My amp is a Naim Nait & speakers are Linn Index Plus, both of which I've had from new, purchased just before the LP12, about 20 odd years ago. My guess is there is better out there by now!

I've a limited budget of really little more than £1000, so I'm looking at used kit. I'm thinking in terms of something like a Musical Fidelity A3 integrated amp, but little idea about suitable speakers. Locally I could audition Audio Analogue amps; I've never actually heard them, but aesthetically they look great & I've read good things about them. Obviously buying second hand means that auditions are unlikely though, hence my asking for advice. Speakers - ideally not black ash; wife would like some floorstanders in cherry, I just want good speakers!

Music listened to is mainly blues, folk, jazz, some rock. Listening room is a crowded dining room, also doubling as a music room (full of guitars & amps) and study (desk, Mac, bookshelves etc). Not ideal, but all I've got 'til I stop buying faulty lottery tickets & get one that works.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Chairman Bill, May 7, 2010
  2. Chairman Bill

per flemming

In my opinion the Naits are preferred to those in mention.
    If its a Nait II you have, beware prices are going up and up.
    Better give it a service and wait another ten years, maybe worth double of current madness.
    If you want to buy new within budget:
    Nait 5i-2 with Leema Xero, Epos, Rega, Majik109/Katan, Royd or Naim nSat/SBL speakers..not many of these are floorstander, sorry

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2010
    per flemming, May 7, 2010
  3. Chairman Bill

RobHolt Moderator

The TT is excellent and should be kept, along with the arm which while not in the top league would be very expensive to replace with something genuinely better.

Replace the ageing Rega MM with a new Denon DL110 cartridge at £140.

Used Epos ES11 or ES12 are a superb used buy - should cost you around £200 and are superior to the Index.
    If you really must have a floorstander, the Rega Ela is excellent but won't play quite as loud.

If the Nait is the little half width version, well it is perfectly ok but nothing special and a seriously over-hyped amplifier lacking power. If it works well and you listen at subdued listening levels it probably doesn't need replacing, however used prices are crazy at the moment so my advice is to sell it and cash in. After 20 years it would benefit from a service which isn't cheap unless you DIY.
    Replace it with a Cambridge 740A at £500 which is better in every way.
    You'll need a phono stage to go with it and the matching 640P is excellent at £100. You could save yourself £30 and go for the cheaper 540P but I would avoid that compromise, particularly as once you've made these changes to the system, the next best upgrade would be a good low output MC cartridge.

That lot comes in just under your budget ceiling.

RobHolt, May 8, 2010
  4. Chairman Bill

Tenson Moderator

Rob's suggestion seems sound, but just to offer an alternative, use the Nait as a pre-amp and get yourself some active speakers. 1K will get you something very good. Most don't look so fancy, but do sound the business. Example, Mackie, Genelec, PMC, ADAM, (can ATC actives be had at that price?)

Tenson, May 8, 2010
  5. Chairman Bill

RobHolt Moderator

On the back of Simon's suggestion there is always the ....

<cough>

AVI ADM9.1

<cough>

On the other point, check that the Nait can operate as a pre - early ones needed a factory mod.

RobHolt, May 8, 2010
  6. Chairman Bill

per flemming

I must agree with Rob, the Epos speakers are great buy but will need some distance from wall.
    Re. your Nait, if its the crazy priced why not wait, prices may go into heaven like LS3/5a and a Nait 5i is just about best buy new, certainly engaging, foot tapping and fun, can't say that about the Cam..all IMO offcourse:)
    There are alternatives and taste differes, go listen

Cheaper MM alternatives are Audio Technica AT-7V or Stanton 681EEE..a Nait 1 or 2 (or 3) has good buildt-in phono stages for MM

per flemming, May 8, 2010
  7. Chairman Bill

Chairman Bill

Thanks for the advice. To claify, the Nait is just that, not a Nait 2, or a Nait 3, or ... just the original Nait.

As I've said, the source components are fine, as indeed are the amp & speakers, but I'd really like a more definite bass (the Nait is great in the middle register, but not the lows), and a better sense of seperation & depth in the soundstage. Having heard some very high end stuff (Krell & the more expensive Audio Analogue), I'm really just after a little bit of that heaven!

Chairman Bill, May 8, 2010
  8. Chairman Bill

Jimbo

I would keep the Nait and perhaps have it serviced by Naim as they will upgrade it with better components. Epos 11 speakers do go fine with Naits but i did change my Epos's to Aurousals A1's which were much better in every way. No distortion and a nice smooth sound.

I have now made some speakers myself so the Aurousals are for sale on here till tonight then they go on Ebay. You are Welcome to have a listen as i am not posting them so pickup only.

Jim.

Jimbo, May 9, 2010
  9. Chairman Bill

Chairman Bill

Thanks Jimbo - I hadn't thought of that. Will I lose the little red light though? I prefer the little red light to the later green one ;-)

Chairman Bill, May 10, 2010
  10. Chairman Bill

Jimbo

I don't think they would bother with that but the latest trend in blue lights may take your fancy. :)

Jimbo, May 11, 2010
Ask a Question