Amplifier suggestions for Tannoy Stirlings

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by McShads, Jun 8, 2008.

1. McShads

McShads

You were right cooky1257, mystery solved, I hooked up one speaker out of phase, well we all make mistakes... They now sound as I thought they would.

McShads, Jun 11, 2008
  2. McShads

McShads

toed in so the horn axis crosses 1ft infront of your nose

This is top advice, definitely the way they sound best, in my room anyway.
    Thanks

McShads, Jun 13, 2008
  3. McShads

Dev Moderator

Glad you like them. Have you decided on the amp yet?

Dev, Jun 13, 2008
  4. McShads

McShads

No.....
    Any more recommendations gratefully received!

McShads, Jun 13, 2008
  5. McShads

McShads

Here is a shortlist, of sorts, of integrated amps with remote volume, in no particular order:

Sugden A21 Series 2. (possibly Masterclass)
    Ayre AX7e
    Consonance Cyber 10 sig
    Eastern Electric M520 (Minimax Integrated?)
    Accuphase integrated (model ?)

Anyone have any experience/opinions of the merits, or otherwise, of these and any I haven't thought of? (I know it's not very hair shirt but I really would like remote volume control). Thanks

McShads, Jun 13, 2008
  6. McShads

nando nando

for all it's worth, i grew up with tannoy loudspeakers all my younger days since 1970's had the lot, from devon's berkleys, cheviotts, ardens, etc, they are all across the range very efficiant, do not need a lot of power to drive them but they do need current to control them or they can become very loose on the bass side, class a amps are a great match that have a good volt output, if valve is what you are after try icom, there is no say here about avoiding S.S., as we use to use tannoy spkrs in recording studios with the likes of AMCROM S.S. AND QUAD 303 AND 405'S there are some great S.S. amps around, my advice is to try and go to your local dealer and try some on home trial,
    regards,
    nando

nando, Jun 13, 2008
  7. McShads

hifi addict

When I was over at Brighton Hifi we had a pair of Tannoy Canterbury's. Geoff at Servicesound brought over his amp and we were amazed it was the best we had heard the Tannoys. Give him a call 01424 216245. It's worth a listen.

hifi addict, Jun 13, 2008
  8. McShads

McShads

Thanks Nando, unfortunately this is where it starts going over my head. What do I need to look for in an amps spec. to see if it has a good/high current/volt output?

McShads, Jun 13, 2008
  9. McShads

Purite Audio Purite Audio

I would try and gather three or four amps at home and see which you enjoy the most, solid state and valve, you must hear them in your system. Keith.

Purite Audio, Jun 13, 2008
  10. McShads

nando nando

hi, if you can have a look for a s/h M.F. A1000, in good codition that ( with a little bit of service) that would be an ideal conbination, other way to go is an icon valve amp, it is a matter of personal taste but if you ask me by experiance now , power is not an issue how about budget?
    nando

nando, Jun 13, 2008
  11. McShads

nando nando

M.f. Kw550 Integrated,?

nando, Jun 13, 2008
  12. McShads

hifi addict

C'mon try and suggest something you don't sell.

I agree with Keith try and get a few amps together. I recently heard an Audio note OTO on a pair of Tannoys to good effect.

John Howes makes a nice pair of modified Quad amplifiers which are pretty stunning I was having a conversation about them with Paul messenger (who also owns a pair of tannoy drivers which he mounts in the wall. John runs the audiojumble in Tunbridge every year. www.audiojumble.co.uk. and look in the sales and wants. his advert is the first you come to.

Another great amp which is possibly my favorite amp of all time is the leak stereo 20.

13. McShads

nando nando

what are you on about, i have experience with this spkrs, i do have buckinghams and c 15's what is your problem? are you not as well saying to try other products!!! me, my advise is a matter of opinion via experience, what i sell or what you recomend is also a promotion on your side, i do not care who or where this particular person ,"who wants advice" buys from, i am not here to promote my shop, only to advise, GOT A PROBLEM, P.M. ME or be quiet,nando
    nando

nando, Jun 13, 2008
  14. McShads

nando nando

Great Advert!!! Nice, Peter Still Around:? Hi-fi Adddd,

nando, Jun 13, 2008
  15. McShads

hifi addict

There are rules, You are offering the products you sell. If you do then they should be posted in the dealer section. I do have a problem there are rules and as this is a free forum then its only fair that we stick to them. I try. If I break them then I take the flack.

There is no point in getting angry. You advertise in the open forum expect to be criticized in the open forum.

16. McShads

hifi addict

What are you talking about? Why do you ask about my assistant who died last year on his motorcycle. Very bad taste!! Bad taste indeed!!

17. McShads

nando nando

sorry to hear that, i knew him very well in the late 90's and back, he and my cousin used to do business on the vinyl side in exchange for hi-fi , i am deeplly hurt to hear this drastic news of him passing away, sorry, sorry, sorry , my condolences to all of his family and close frieneds, do beg your pardon, like i said we new each other but lost touch, this indeed is tragic to the industry, sorry again, RIP PETER, bless,
    nando

nando, Jun 13, 2008
  18. McShads

nando nando

p.s. you must know me aswell,

nando, Jun 13, 2008
  19. McShads

la toilette Downright stupid

This echoes my experience too Nando; I've had problems controlling a loose and unruly bottom end :)D) with some amps with my HPD's and Golds. However, I didn't have any problems with a Sugden A21a, and don't have any problems with my current amp which is a Unison Research Unico (which is FAB!). I don't understand anything really about current delivery in amps, but I have experienced amps that have failed to control the bass on my Tannoys. I've now settled upon SS power to solve this situation for me, although I know there are valve amps that create no such problems. I'm sure a nice Leak stereo 20 would do the job, as hifi addict suggested, if you don't mind going down the vintage route - I did briefly own one but it needed some attention so I stupidly sold it on instead of getting it fixed.

la toilette, Jun 14, 2008
  20. McShads

nando nando

hi,sugden are very good amps, but tannoy speakers "specially" dual concentric need control, if i am making sense here, most of current tube amps have not got the energy to keep them or drive them to their great, and i mean great performance to sublime music to ears, unison research, are very good amps, leak stereo 20 if modified proper would be good, but at that age i will differ in opinion, i had one in 1973, still here but retired, you know what else worked well with tannoy's LUXMAN L 85 V amp, super,
    regards ,
    nando

nando, Jun 14, 2008
Ask a Question