An idea for a sticky. Reference points on certain LPs

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Chris, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Chris

Chris

Just a thought which perhaps someone will be able to develop. With a view to having tangible reference points of objective subjectivism or subjective objectivism (nice) to help reassure ourselves that our respective systems are not really as bad as all that. Couldn't we sort of compile a short/long list of well-known recordings with reference points : say track 3 20 seconds in for example where you should listen out for things such as low-level detail, positioning, height, depth, bass reverb etc. etc. I know it depends on studio effects and sounds a bit nerdy and rather defeats the purpose of listening to music but c'mon, own up there are certain times when we don't just listen to the music but use it to satiate our desire to upgrade. Anyway, I always used to value record reviews (Hi-fi Answers springs to mind) which drew attention to certain particular aspects such as: if you can still hear the staccato stabs of the piano in the background when the sax solo reaches its maximum frenzy then your system is considerably better resolved than you thought.
    Anyone follow me ?

Chris, Dec 27, 2008
  2. Chris

The Devil IHTFP

Define "low-level detail, positioning, height, depth, bass reverb".

It's not going to work, is it?

The Devil, Dec 27, 2008
  3. Chris

Haselsh1 Shaun H

Mmmm... I remember Hi-Fi Answers claim that unless you used a Linn LP12 you would never be able to hear the faint guitar tune up at the beginning of the first Dire Straits album. The fact of the matter was that everybody could hear it, even me with my trusty old Garrard GT35P...!!!

Haselsh1, Dec 27, 2008
  4. Chris

dreftar

An interesting idea. I tend to use a Paul Simon track - Late in the Evening as it was on hearing this many, many moons ago played on a SystemDek, no idea of the other stuff but the quality of the sound, the rhythmic percussion and cymbals that sang, was responsible for my interest in hifi ever since. I often use this song to test my latest hard ware acquisitions. I especially use the bit after the short guitar solo. Incidentally, I still enjoy the music too!

dreftar, Dec 27, 2008
  5. Chris

D Louth 77

Hi Chris

I for one think this is a great idea and would be up for making some suggestions. Don't mind the devil hes just a kill joy in his flat earth world and best ignored.

D Louth 77

D Louth 77, Dec 27, 2008
  6. Chris

jerrykan If it moves, punk it

Great idea. I'm sure everyone ( ZG peeps at any rate ) have tracks, and certain sections within tracks, they use to evaluate new gear. I really like 'The Message' from 'Strange Place for Snow' by the Esbjorn Svensson Trio' (ACT9011-2). The intro features piano and excellent brushwork soon joined by a great double-bass line. Bass joins in at 0.27 secs. A good system will let you hear the reverberation of the string rather than just a low note. Then, at 1.06 a cymbal is struck that combines wonderfully with the piano and bass to give that wide spectrum sound so liked by vinylistas.

Ken Kessler in HiFi News is really good at this kind of thing. He turned me on to 'A Ghost is Born' by Wilco with just such a review, pointing out the guitar break in 'Hell is Chrome' as a pivotal point in the track.

One last point, I also like using 'Late Night on Maudlin Street' from 'Viva Hate' by Morrissey.

Any system can make a well recorded and mastered album sound good but it takes a really well balanced and high quality system to make this album sound good. Anything less and 'Viva Hate, sounds muddy and unfocused. I always listen to 'Late Night on Maudlin Street', Vini Reilly's guitar in particular for its shimmering tune that is oddly melancholic.

jerrykan, Dec 28, 2008
Ask a Question