Ancient Kit ..... ancient listener trying to change speakers.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by John the Technophobe, Sep 3, 2021.

1. John the Technophobe

John the Technophobe

Hello Folks and thanks for being a forum and letting me join.

I have an old Tecnics seperates stack system - CD, Amp, Graphic, I've even kept the cassette player. Elements of it go back 30 years. Still works very well, but it's the Bose Acousitmas speakers which are failing...... Cables everywhere and probably really should be in a museum they're battered.

Our neighbour was going to BIN some Peavys....... I stopped this dreadful waste, which came with a huge rack preamp and mixer unit - MONO . I'm not sure if the Peavey's are Mono can't see a commissioning plate on them ....... Any way the Preamp and mixer unit emit a dreadful Buzz and crackle I think they are beyond hope. I have managed to get a connection through the Audio headphone jack but that really isn't how I'd like it to be.

The Peavy has and XLR connection to a 6.35mm Jack in to the pre amp. The connection to the Technics amp is bare wire wrapped around the terminal at the rear and pressed into place by crushing the wire against the terminal plate. It worked fine for the Bose's - but what will I need for a direct connection for the Peaveys should I want to retire the Bose's ..... too many cables !

Sorry I'm a phobe ........ but as with a car, all I want the darned thing to do is to work when it is switched on.

Hope someone can get what i'm on about.

John

John the Technophobe, Sep 3, 2021
  2. John the Technophobe

Sergeauckland

Which Peavey loudspeakers? These are normally PA 'speakers, not hifi, so may not be ideal for home listening.
    If the Peavey amp is faulty, it can be repaired, but it might be uneconomic unless you can do it yourself. In any event, I'd use your Technics stack system to drive the Peavey 'speakers if they're suitable.

The Bose Acoustimass system was OK for casual listening or connecting to a TV, less so for hifi music listening, so you may get better results with the Peavey 'speakers, depending on what they are.

S

Sergeauckland, Sep 3, 2021
  3. John the Technophobe

jonnydee12

You need a pair of 6.3mm jacks to bare wire leads.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/QTX-Sound-6-35mm-Male-Mono-Black/dp/B00J2SQDQQ

jonnydee12, Oct 2, 2021
Ask a Question