Android Lollipop supports USB Audio

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Labarum, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Labarum

Labarum

All you need is an OTG cable and you can plug your Lollipop device straight into a USB DAC.

See

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=usb+audio+android+l&gws_rd=ssl

I can't try it. My Nexus 7 upgraded itself last week, but I have only just started exploring. I'm back in UK now and my USB DAC is in Cyprus.

It's about time! Kit Kat (or earlier) should have had it.

Labarum, Dec 6, 2014
  2. Labarum

Sergeauckland

Yes it can, but the tablet needs to be rooted, and the problem then is that the OTA upgrades after 5.0 won't load on a rooted tablet. Unrooting, then upgrading, then rooting again is a real faff, and risks bricking the tablet.

It is possible to access external USB storage with an unrooted tablet, but on my Nexus 7, it's very flakey, the audio and/or video stops, or goes back to the beginning or whatever. It worked perfectly when rooted, but I unrooted to do the upgrade o 5.1.0 and can't be bothered to root again. I haven't tried an external USB DAC rather than storage, but question why it would be worth using.

S.

Sergeauckland, Apr 2, 2015
Ask a Question