Arcam Alpha 5 gear change.

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by griffin10010, Jan 2, 2011.

1. griffin10010

griffin10010

I changed the pulley gear aon my Alpha 5 Pluus. Unit powers up, display works but no sound. Any one know what I have done wrong. Many thanks.

griffin10010, Jan 2, 2011
  2. griffin10010

banbinon

The Voodoo lounge Thrybergh Rotherham South Yorksh
    arcam alpha 5 plus

would love to help mate only thing i can come up with is contact arcam ask for matt frost he may be able to help 01223203200 good luck one thing he did tell me was send it in they will repair anything max cost 140 reasonable to save a great little spinner:)

banbinon, Jan 4, 2011
  3. griffin10010

zanash

check seating of the foil connector ...it can be very trouble some ...infact check all reconections ..

the dac board can press the vertical pins through the main pcb breacking the tracks ...sounds worse than it is ...

just resolder the tracks or add wire jumpers across the breaks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011
    zanash, Jan 4, 2011
  4. griffin10010

griffin10010

Many thanks for replies. I have checked the pins between the boards, all OK. It appears I might not have used adequate antistatic measures when I changed the gear. I used a wire, touched one end to the base of the cd and the other to a house earth wire. I didn't have shoes on, only socks! I tried not to touch the circuits or components, holding the boards by theire edges. If I have damaged the unit because of static would it be a single component or many? I have a multimeter and am a competent solderer, My electrical skills end there! Any Ideas. Many thanks.

griffin10010, Jan 5, 2011
  5. griffin10010

zanash

the only way to check the pins and tracks between the mother board and the dac board is to remove the mother board.....

if you have not dissassembled to that point ..then you need to do it !

before you set about that ...does the disc spin up and does the cd get read ...ie tracks and elapse time on the display show ?

there are any number of causes ....worst case being a dead laser...

static should not be an issue ...i've done that job many times with no protection but without exact knowledge who knows !

if you want to talk through the issues pm me ...

zanash, Jan 5, 2011
  6. griffin10010

griffin10010

Hello Zanash. Many thanks for note and offer of help I will look tomorrow and see exactly what is happening and check again to see if I disturbed anything. Many thanks.

griffin10010, Jan 5, 2011
  7. griffin10010

penance Arrogant Cock

Its more yourself you need to earth to avoid static and not the unit.

penance, Jan 6, 2011
Ask a Question