AudioSmile Advantage Description

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Markus S, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Markus S

Markus S Trade

It's working already! Well, I'm afraid I haven't ordered an AudioSmile system yet, but I was inspired to look at your website. In particular, the description of the Advantage seems somewhat contradictory at first glance:

Active is generally taken to mean line level crossover plus a dedicated power amp for each driver. Yet your amp sports only two channels, so the passive crossover on the Kensai stays in place?

Also, how can my (existing) amplifier focus effortlessly on mid & treble? Do you allow speaker level connection à la REL, letting the existing integrated or power amp work into a resistor while taking a voltage signal from that to drive the internal amp?

You may, perhaps, wish to clarify the product description.

Markus S, Mar 29, 2011
  2. Markus S

RobHolt Moderator

Good spot Markus (want a job as proof reader?).
    The operation of the Advantage has changed following dealer and some user feedback and the wording will be updated asap.

regards,

RobHolt, Mar 29, 2011
  3. Markus S

Tenson Moderator

Hi Markus,

I was in the process of updating the product description when suddenly I couldn't connect to the server to upload any-more. The business who run the server have recently been liquidated so I guess they are struggling to maintain it.

If you read audiosmile.com it is up to date and on the new server with the forum, but audiosmile.co.uk is on the old server and I only got a connection to upload right this second.

The Advantage has an active crossover between itself and the Kensai, and the Kensai mid/bass to tweeter is passive.

Tenson, Mar 29, 2011
  4. Markus S

Markus S Trade

I'm afraid audiosmile.com is better but not quite there yet. You still claim

which implies 3 channels of amplification. Also, I think you need to provide a rationale for keeping the passive xo. Why is passive between midrange and tweeter okay, but not between woofer and midrange?

I applaud your decision to offer on-board amplification, but commercially, it's an uphill battle to explain your design to potential customers.

With my proof-reading hat on, in this sentence

both commas need to go, I feel. I'd replace the first comma with a full stop or semicolon and lose the "as" as well.

which, come to think of it, may not be in your best interest to state as it implies that the Kensai on its own sounds tortured ... Advertising copy is so hard to write, and putting advertising copy under close scrutiny tends to make it all unravel in your hands.

(Please delete if inappropriate)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2011
    Markus S, Mar 29, 2011
  5. Markus S

RobHolt Moderator

Markus,

I'd go with:

....stress of reproducing low frequencies at high SPLs.

On the reason for not eliminating the passive crossover between the bass/mid and tweeter, it simply didn't produce any audible benefit using active filters and amplification at that point.
    The drivers used are well behaved and only require a simple crossover with no other response shaping networks in play.
    Amplifier electrical damping is mostly a non-issue on that crossover. Finally, life is made easier for a Kensai user wishing to upgrade.

RobHolt, Mar 29, 2011
  6. Markus S

Tenson Moderator

I'm not sure how to best describe the Kensai + Advantage system accurately and in a short sentence. 3-way semi-active is a possiblilty but to me this suggests the Kensai is still powered by an external amp. In this system the Kensai does have an active filter, but it is only the high-pass since that is tricky to do passively.

I thought calling it a 3-way active was okay, and then explaining later that it has an amp for the Advantage and amp for the Kensai.

Low frequencies will stress any speaker at any SPL in comparison to not producing them. Perhaps torture is too strong a word though.

Tenson, Mar 29, 2011
  7. Markus S

nando nando

simon your theory is correct, naim or lynn could get an exact crossover network from rollover between 2.5.k and 2.8 k, therefore the mid passive bass was faster then the bass unit roll, does that make sense?

nando, Mar 30, 2011
  8. Markus S

Tenson Moderator

Not really, but I know the speaker works well. This thread is more just to move Markus' comments out of the original thread as it was off topic.

Tenson, Mar 30, 2011
Ask a Question