AV Amplifier Aesthetic Modification

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by shaudio, Apr 29, 2017.

1. shaudio

shaudio

Hello there, I was wondering if anyone here has any knowledge or experience that they can impart.

I have a nice amplifier which hasn't been very well looked after and it has scuffs and scratches all over the case. Also, it is silver and I would like it to be black (matt black with a slight sheen).

I am happy to take the case off but wonder how I would get the best results?

My thoughts are to sand the surfaces with a fine grit sandpaper to remove anything that is raised, fill any voids with something (not sure what the best type of filler would be), then spray the case (any tips on paint choices and methods would be appreciated).

Obviously the vented part of an AV gets quite hot, so whatever paint I went for would need to withstand this heat and not go soft/flake. I also have concerns about covering the display with masking tape as I have experience of paint bleeding through on something else I did and it was a disaster. Furthermore, any labels on the front will need replacing, any advise on this?

I''d really appreciate your help on this. Thanks.

shaudio, Apr 29, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. shaudio

Evilchicken0

I'd assume you have a metal case with a plastic fascia to your amp ???

Go to www.frost.co.uk and have a look for "chassis black" it should be available in satin finish - which is what you're asking for. as you say rub the case down in a medium grit and use 800 grit as the final grade. Clean the case with some acetone (nail varnish remover) or carb cleaner before you spray it. Use a few thin coats and don't be tempted to get the spray can too close.
    Do the same with the fascia but this time just use a colour spray - Tamiya model spray will be ok for this or just use a car spray, finish it with a couple of coats of satin lacquer.

Really the chassis black is a bit overkill but it will have a heat resistance to it. You can probably get away with a Halfords satin black I doubt the amp will get "hot" by car / motorbike standrads

Evilchicken0, May 3, 2017
    1. Advertisements