AVI ADM9s - Are they really the perfect speaker?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by daws0n, Jan 15, 2009.

1. daws0n

daws0n

Hey fellas,

For the first time I've tallied up how much i've spent on hifi in the past 6 years and it's pretty damn shocking! I've spent most of it during the past 12 months I have decided it's all gone a bit silly.... Since I already own an AVi LSI I am looking into the ADM active speakers range as I found found a pair of ADM9s used for a good price.

I have been using the LSI amp happily with dynaudio 1.3SEs/1.1 speakers (tbh it sounds better with the 1.1s IMO), a pair of which would have to go if I kept the ADMs (most likely the 1.3s. Looking around the forum there seems to be alot of praise for the ADMs, albeit from a select group of people

Though I am a bit skeptical as to how much of this is hype, especially since Ash is troucing his old (and more expensive) product range in favour of them. Sounds a bit too good to be true. I rate the LSi amp as a good amp and find it hard to believe that he can better it+dac+speakers for £600 less... Anyways, since this is a *downgrade* so to speak, I'm not expecting improvements...

Leading back to my original question, has anyone listened to these speakers and *not* liked them?

Dawson

(sorry if this sounds like a loaded question, but I have heard plenty of praise for these speakers from the facebook/bake off reviews and am seeing if anyone has any criticisms of them before I take the blunge)

daws0n, Jan 15, 2009
  2. daws0n

Graffoeman

I've no personal experience of them so couldn't possibly comment, I'm afraid.

However, if you go to their web site and look for the link 'Important Speaker Advice', you may find this snippet useful:

AVI loudspeakers all sound the same but get better as you spend more money.

Graffoeman, Jan 15, 2009
  3. daws0n

scott_01

Sorry about the Cliche but I'd try them before buying, as with any speaker. They do have dealers apparently so maybe you could hear the there before trying at homel.

FWIW. if all of them sound the same as my old passive AVI Positrons then I'd set fire to them before listening, those were truly awful, with 3 different amps, vinyl / CD you name it.

scott_01, Jan 15, 2009
  4. daws0n

Tenson Moderator

They sounded really bad when I heard them at a hi-fi show, but that was because they were only playing regenerated recordings of wax rolls with marching band music! :confused:

I think they are probably quite decent speakers, but I wouldn't expect a far better sound than you will already get with your amp and Dyns.

If you are interested in getting an active all in one kinda package then look also at these JBLs. http://www.dv247.com/invt/38776/
    I havn't heard them, but JBL know a thing or two about speakers!

Tenson, Jan 15, 2009
  5. daws0n

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

I heard that demo too (if one can call it a demo) - at Bristol last year. Truly one of the most embarrassingly poor presentations of a product I have ever come across - there weren't even any chairs!

YNMOAN, Jan 15, 2009
  6. daws0n

RDD Longterm Lurker

I suppose it depends what context you're using "perfect" in, they're possibly perfect for certain systems - but at the price level I shouldn't have thought they'd be bothering £20k speakers in the ultimate perfection stakes :)

RDD, Jan 16, 2009
  7. daws0n

spica

Just nearly a midi system in a box, all they need is a slot for a CD. From looking on their web page they seem to be aiming these boxes at the multimedia user who doesn't want extras to upset the aesthetics of their minimalist cell or unwanted movement that may disturb their well coiffured hair. From what i smell, more a marketing ploy than sound advice.
    as their site says "We're very much a purist audiophile company (albeit one coated liberally with BS repellent!) "etc.
    like attracts like... i suppose :)

spica, Jan 16, 2009
Ask a Question