B&W 801 Nautilus which amp?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by snskeybyrne, Sep 8, 2018.

1. snskeybyrne

snskeybyrne

My system is as follows: Gyrodeck with Orbe platter origin live illustrious arm, Lyra Delos cartridge Pre is Cyrus 7 with Cyrus psu. Power is 4 Cyrus mono x bi amping Gershman Avant Ggarde floor standers, these are a Canadian 3 way. I am thinking of getting B&W 801 Nautilus second hand but, I am wondering if my four cyrus mono blocks would have enough power to drive them. (I have heard they need serious power) My Gershman speakers have performed well over the years but I have moved into a converted chapel and need bigger speakers to fill the space. Any thoughts on my considered change from your more informed forum members would be much appreciated.

snskeybyrne, Sep 8, 2018
  2. snskeybyrne

attrition

The B&W 801's won't fill your chapel space like you hope. You should get yourself a set of horn loaded loudspeakers for such a space. Horns focus the sound to a specific area, thus putting the sound pressure into a concentrated area of coverage while a standard loudspeaker couples with the air in the room. Your amplifiers will be plenty powerful to drive horns. I suggest you look at the Danley SH50's and a good subwoofer such as the Danley DTS10 or 20.

attrition, Oct 8, 2018
Ask a Question