Back-loaded and transmission line?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Beemer, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Beemer

Beemer

This is my first post and before I have decided the type of DIY speaker to build. My question is whether a back-loaded horn type is the same as a transmission line speaker? I suppose my interest is specifically whether the BL horn can produce the same low frequency as a quarter wave TL?
    Ian

Beemer, Jul 10, 2019
  2. Beemer

lawrence001

From my experience the TL will go a bit lower and the back loaded horn will sound more natural and unforced across quite a wide frequency range of the driver in question. I'm basing that on IMF TLS80s, Cambridge Audio R50s (TLs) and Bastanis Dragonflies. Others may of course disagree.

lawrence001, Aug 6, 2019
  3. Beemer

Beemer

Laurence,
    Since my post I have decided to kit build a 930mm floorstanding laberinth TL pair. The parts arrive today and include Swan HiVi 6.5" Mid/bass and Fountek CD3.0 Ribbon speakers.
    Ian

Beemer, Aug 7, 2019
  4. Beemer

Sergeauckland

A horn and a transmission line are opposites. A horn starts small at the throat and gets wider at the mouth, and acts as a transformer to 'amplify' the sound. A TL starts wide and gets narrower, the aim is to absorb the back radiation so theoretically nothing gets out at the end. Horns unless HUGE won't get down to particularly low frequencies, TLs generally will go much lower in frequency, but a horn will go loud with little power whilst a TL is relatively inefficient.

No such thing as a free lunch!

S

Sergeauckland, Aug 2, 2020
Ask a Question