Back to Basics

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Soloist, May 16, 2009.

1. Soloist

Soloist In my lonely furrow

Ok. New amp in place (Bow Wazoo XL). I am very impressed but concerned about the speaker connections. I have had to join my bi-wires for the two outpus and for speed, I twisted the wires and used pairs of QED serew clam ype phono plugs. These accept the diamter of the twinned wires OK and I am happy I have a good contact. Problem is, the plugs do not seem very tight in the sockets.

Question: Would I be better off just stripping a bit more cover off and using the substantial binding posts rather than fussing to improve my bannana plugs?

Regards to all.

Soloist, May 16, 2009
  2. Soloist

RobHolt Moderator

Feeling tight with regard to your efforts to pull them apart and being tight enough to allow a good electrical connection are not the same thing.

Forget all about 'tight' - secure is what you need. If you pull gently on each connector, does the connection remain?
    If so, you don't have a problem.

Same goes for phono and din connectors on interconnects.
    It is sheer lunacy to lust after these bling phono connectors that lock down with extreme force on the socket.
    Are you making an electrical connection or attempting to tow a truck?

The application of common sense is, as usual, the answer.

RobHolt, May 16, 2009
  3. Soloist

Noel Winters

Hi Rob
    I have a similar type of problum with my spades they
    are quite a good brand but the hole is so large that i have to
    triple the cable to get a good connection they must think we use boat rope size wire .I see a lot of the new cables are quite
    fine.
    Noel W.

Noel Winters, May 17, 2009
  4. Soloist

Soloist In my lonely furrow

Thanks for subs on this.

New Back to Basics question: I am currently using Blu-Tak under my speakers on their Atacama stands. Is this still current best practice? can I do better? What were the holes in the top of the stands for?

Soloist, May 19, 2009
  5. Soloist

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Sorry to go back a tad... I've put half my wide spades through the wire holes in the posts, not a tight connection as the pivoted weight of the wire is enough, sounds fantastic.

SMEagol, May 19, 2009
Ask a Question