Benchmark,Berkeley Alpha, Weiss 202 Shootout!

Discussion in 'Trade Adverts and Discussion' started by Purite Audio, May 18, 2010.

1. Purite Audio

Purite Audio Purite Audio

We had an interesting dac shootout last evening, contenders were Benchmark dac ( preamp version ) Berkeley 'Alpha' dac and Weiss 202.
    It was the first time I had heard the Berkeley as it isn't imported into Europe, because of ROHS and CE compliance issues.
    We connected the Benchmark and the Berkeley through a Weiss INT202 firewire interface and listened to mostly 44.1 but also some 176/24 material, and the results were extremey interesting, dacs do not all sound the same!
    Keith.

Purite Audio, May 18, 2010
  2. Purite Audio

Dev Moderator

Thanks Keith but "and the results were extremey interesting" isn't much of a review. You'll need to do better:D, like a fuller review, even if you are a dealer :D.

Dev, May 18, 2010
  3. Purite Audio

Dev Hi, I am hopeful that maybe the other two panelists ( who aren't dealers ) might chip in.
    I will say that to those that believe that the Benchmark is 'perfect' it isn't, relatively quite poor in fact, with a comparatively grey, dull sound .
    Keith.

4. Purite Audio

Dev Moderator

Thanks Keith, let's hope they do. Price-wise, were all three DACs in the same ballpark?

Dev, May 18, 2010
  5. Purite Audio

D Hi, no the Benchmark is what around £1200ish the Berkeley is £3200 ( plus import tax ) and the 202 is a bit more £4000.

6. Purite Audio

Hicham Mr

The new Arcam rDAC

Please Keith give the new Arcam rDAC also a go Vs the Benchmark and possibily the Cambridge DAC magic,

Thank you
    Hicham - Sydney

Hicham, May 18, 2010
  7. Purite Audio

Hicham, borrow those dacs from your local retailers and post a review,I would be interested to hear your thoughts,
    Keith.

8. Purite Audio

Hicham Mr

The new Arcam rDAC

Sure Keith, I shall hopefully do this exercise sometime in July-August.
    This rDAC wouldn't be available sooner than the end of this June.

Hicham, May 18, 2010
  9. Purite Audio

rodrat

Would you not expect dacs that are three times the price to be better? I can't see what the review has achieved.

rodrat, May 21, 2010
  10. Purite Audio

I never really set out to write a review, I just thought some might be interested to hear a few thoughts on a comparison between three dacs, one of which ( the Berkeley Alpha ) is not readily available in the UK.
    I have read that the Benchmark dac is 'perfect' ,clearly it is not and better sound quality is available, at a price.
    The Berkeley has been widely praised, and while it is a decent dac, it is simply not in the same class as the ( slightly more expensive )Weiss, vfm judgements are of course best left to the individual.
    Keith.

Purite Audio, May 21, 2010
Ask a Question