Beresford DAC / Apple Mac Streaming problem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by YetiZone, Jan 17, 2008.

1. YetiZone

YetiZone

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can please help with a connection problem I'm having.

I have just bought a secondhand Beresford TC-7510 DAC (version 3 I believe).

This is to be used between a Naim pre (112X) and an Apple MacBook.

I have just hooked it all up to my HiFi with.....

A Chord interconnect with 2X RCA plugs to 1 X DIN plugs from the amp output on the back of the DAC to the AUX1 on the Naim 112X.

A Toslink optical interconnect from Toslink 1 socket on the DAC to the laptop with a 3mm minjack adaptor on the end to connect to the laptop.

And no joy - I just can't get a sound out of the computer through the HiFi? I know the cable works ok as I had the laptop hooked up with a Supernait at a recent dem? The green light is on on the DAC as are the red channel selectors? The CDP works just fine through the 112X too.

One thing that is strange is that when I use the "volume up / down" or "sound off" buttons on the Mac keyboard, I get the sound "speakerphone" icon, all of the white volume bar indicators lit up, and a small circle with a cross through - so I guess sound is not being sent via the cable to the DAC? When I hook up my Harmon Kardon Soundsticks - all works fine and iTunes plays just fine?

I had a look on the Beresford web site and there's not much help on there I'm afraid.

Any ideas as to what I've done wrong? Is it incorrectly set up, is there something in the Mac system preferences or iTunes that needs re setting?

Music streaming - so close, yet so far! :confused:

YZ

YetiZone, Jan 17, 2008
  2. YetiZone

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

If you see a red light shining out of the computer's minijack hole then digital out is enabled. If not, there is something in the sound setup you have to fix.

SteveC, Jan 17, 2008
  3. YetiZone

cooky1257

Go into System preferences in the finder(under the apple icon in the menu bar), select the sound icon(a speaker) then select digital out under the output options-then Bobs your auntie-should work..

cooky1257, Jan 17, 2008
  4. YetiZone

YetiZone

Hi Cooky- tried that, no joy! And then this statement came up:

"The selected device has no output controls"

:(

YetiZone, Jan 18, 2008
  5. YetiZone

cooky1257

Try under input and check that audio in is set to analogue.
    Frank

cooky1257, Jan 18, 2008
  6. YetiZone

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

When a digital device is connected to the output then it has not sound controls, this is correct.

garyi, Jan 19, 2008
Ask a Question