Bought a phone less than 14 days ago on contract - It has many bugs can I swap it?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Jan 13, 2008.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

It is a Nokia N81 8GB, I like the phone but it has some very annoying bugs and quirks and I don't think it is going to be a reliable long term prospect. Now the screen is not properly turning off in standby even though the settings are correct. It is the last straw due to many problems I have had with this phone.

The phone has obviously been used and due to the dire build quality it doesn't look brand new. It is 12 days into the contract now.

I am just not happy that is is a so called £300 phone when it is buggy and poorly made.

amazingtrade, Jan 13, 2008
  2. amazingtrade

julian2002 Muper Soderator

you should have a 14 day cooling off period but im not sure if that's statutory - if you bought it mail order i think there are laws to deal with returning products.
    if the phone is not fit for purpouse then you can also return it for a swap or refund.
    you may just have an older version with kak firmware- go to a nokia center and see if there are updates available. if it's not a new phone and you bought it as such then you may have a case - all this is speculation though.

julian2002, Jan 13, 2008
  3. amazingtrade

Already done all that :) All the latest firmware :) They did say I had 14 days to cancel when I got it but I would have to pay the first month. The problem is I am not happy with the build quality of the N81 but there seems to be very little other usable WIFI smart phones on the market and the WIFI function and the Nokia maps are more than a gadget for me, they both have making life easier uses.

4. amazingtrade

Andy registered grazer

My last 4 mobiles have all been nokia smartphones (n95, n80, n71 & 6630) and all of them have come with their fair share of bugs. Seems that's the price you pay for having a handset that does so much.
    If you're looking for a replacement, the n95's rather good, its main downfall being crappy battery life (although the new 8Gb version has a higher capacity battery).

You say you've already flashed the phone with new firmware and it didn't fix the bugs so if you do intend to keep the phone after all, i'd suggest taking it to a Nokia service centre. They'll send it off to Nokia free of charge to be repaired and i'd imagine they'll replace it with a new one if they can't repair it.

Andy, Jan 13, 2008
  5. amazingtrade

I swapped the phone for another N81 8GB in the end :) The N95 battery life won't be good enough for me, and the 95 8GB is too expensive.

My new one surprise surprise has the same old bug, but strangely the camera is a lot better.

I googeled the bug and it seems to be to do with the key lock, basicaly before I go to bed I need to unclock the keypad and the screen will go off.

6. amazingtrade

Andy registered grazer

Nice one.
    I'm sure they'll release a new firmware version to fix the problem soon enough. Keep checking the Nokia website for upgrades.

Andy, Jan 14, 2008
  7. amazingtrade

My only concern is the slider seems a bit loose, but if I reject this phone they will think I am a right fussy git, so I am just going to live with it and put in a warranty claim if it becomes a problem. My sisters old Sony was like that from day one but lasted 12 months till she dropped it in the bath.

amazingtrade, Jan 14, 2008
Ask a Question