Braun SK55 Snow White's Coffin - DIY Project for Someone??

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Uncle Ants, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

I had always wanted one of these as its a design classic. Not exactly HiFi, but a seminal piece of industrial design. A good one came upon German ebay apparently fully operational and I jumped ....

Problem is it got bounced by the couriers. The seller has kindly agreed to refund me and I'll look out for another, but meantime I still have this one.

I could flog it for parts on ebay (but suspect there will be no takers), or it could go to the dump. If someone here wants it to see if they can repair it you can have it for nix.

The amp inside is EL84 driven and the radio still works and sounds very good indeed.

The damage is, a crack in the perspex lid, the headshell and arm holder snapped and the deck doesn't spin. I doubt any of this is completely irrepairable for someone with the right skills - I don't have the time thoiugh. PM me if you are interested, it would be a shame to see it go to the tip.

I checked and the stylus is still available

There's a circuit diagram here.

Apologies for cross posting WigWam and PFM, but I'm really hoping someone can pick this up and run with it. It would be a shame if not.

Pics of the damage and the interior below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Uncle Ants, Nov 15, 2007
  2. Uncle Ants

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I'd only shift it once you have the next one - you never know what part you might need to make a mint one and you will kick yourself if you've just given it away! It's a beautiful thing.

Tony.

TonyL, Nov 15, 2007
  3. Uncle Ants

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Ants,

Nice piece of kit! I agree with TonyL. I would keep hold of it for spares. You never know what you might need.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 15, 2007
  4. Uncle Ants

sideshowbob Trisha

What they said. Bloody couriers.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 15, 2007
  5. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

All advice gratefully received. If you see the thread on this over on PFM. You'll see that its spinning again, which was my biggst concern, the rest should be relatively easy to sort, so its staying :)

Uncle Ants, Nov 16, 2007
Ask a Question