Buggered Up Tweeter - Warning

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by RDD, Oct 28, 2003.

1. RDD

RDD Longterm Lurker

Just a word of warning for ya'll.

I've been tinkering about these last couple of days with a tweeter unit from a Tannoy Mercury M1 speaker, with the intention of putting two of them into a pair of DIY speakers, and well, basically it broke :(

All I did to it was disconnect it from the spade connections, they slid off fairly easily and I assumed without problems. On coming to reconnect it to it's original housing I found to my dismay that the speaker now had no functioning tweeter :eek:

So I took the tweeter out and ran it in my hand. After much rattling and cable adjustment I got a bit miffed and pushed down pretty hard on the spade leads, what did I find....it worked!! I inspected it closely and saw that it seemed to have no obvious way of connecting the spade terminals to the actual magnet (looking for a red and black wire).

In the end out of frustration I got out a massive screwdriver and pulled off the terminals – again no wires going from the terminals to the magnet, or so I thought. To my utter bewilderment the thick wire connected to the spade connector went down to a wire the thickness of a hair glued onto the housing (bare wire) :mad:

Clearly all it took to damage this mind bendingly thin wire was simply unhooking the spade connector. A lesson learnt the hard way.

So take care you crazy cats!!

RDD, Oct 28, 2003
Ask a Question