Buying "high end" audio system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by BazzNaim, Jan 6, 2015.

1. BazzNaim

BazzNaim BazzNaim

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on the following : I have a budget of app'x £9000 to spend on a complete Hi-Fi system. In the past I have owned a second hand Naim "Olive" system comprising of : CDX cd player, Nac 102 with NAPSC & HiCap power supplies, & NAP 250 with Ruark Prologue One speakers. I absolutely loved that system with it's sheer musical presence. However my only complaint was it always sounded "digital". I put this down to the slight shortcomings of the CDX (though I might be wrong).

What I am after is a system that plays CD's only (I don't use any vinyl). I have read reviews about some high end CD players that have a much warmer sound like vinyl. In particular the Roksan Caspian M2 CD player & the (very pricey Naim CDS3 player + power supply).

Has anyone any other thoughts on other players that might match these two ?

I am a huge "fan" of Naim units from the "Olive" series onwards, but would appreciate any advice on any other makes.

To cut to the chase : what system is out there that can produce a warm, detailed, dynamic soundstage for £9000 ?

Please note, I am more than willing to but second hand (especially Naim) and have them serviced. However if there is a "right" system out there which I can buy new, then please let me know !

Thank you very much for your time in reading this, and I will respect ALL replies.

Cheers............Bazza

BazzNaim, Jan 6, 2015
  2. BazzNaim

Tenson Moderator

Do not be fooled by the suggestion that a CD player sounds like vinyl. They sound however the CD was mastered. If the CD was mastered well they can sound clean smooth and dynamic. If not, well they sound not so good.

If you want to get a system for CD only and have £9k to spend I suggest you get a CD player with integrated volume control / preamp, a nice power amp and then blow the rest on speakers. In fact active speakers would be my choice. CD player -> speakers. Job done.

I'm thinking something like the AudioLab 8200CDQ (£900) and Genelec 8260A (£6k).

Tenson, Jan 8, 2015
Ask a Question