Calling all WAD freaks

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Dynamic Turtle, May 16, 2005.

1. Dynamic Turtle

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone out there has experience with the World Audio Design MC step-up transformer. It's only £77 - a damn sight cheaper than some others I've been looking at.

So, is this a properly engineered product, or have they cut some serious corners to get the price that low?

Cheers,
    DT

Dynamic Turtle, May 16, 2005
  2. Dynamic Turtle

Anex Thermionic

what others have you been looking at? Its not that much cheaper than lundahls from DIY paradiso. My Lundahls were £110 (160 euros) but they're properly screened with a better core and are tapped for 13dB or 26dB gain (LL1681).
    If you only need 10dB like the WAD, theres LL1578 high-permeability mu core 55.15 euros each (110.30 euros pair, so around £75) then theres the LL1678 which has a little more gain for about £67 just as examples.
    http://www.diyparadiso.com/price/stock-transfo.htm
    do a page search for MC to skip to the MC section or just emeither, tell them your cart output

Anex, May 16, 2005
  3. Dynamic Turtle

Lt Cdr Data om

nothing wrong with them at all, transformer design is a hugely black art, and what measures better frequently sound worse, some of the older poor transformers sound fantastic.
    you can never tell in audio

Lt Cdr Data, May 16, 2005
  4. Dynamic Turtle

penance Arrogant Cock

hmm, i worked as a tranny winder/re-winder, never thought i was a magician tho.
    Fairly simple things really :)

penance, May 16, 2005
Ask a Question