Cambidge Audio 500RC

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by GJMW, Jan 10, 2019.

1. GJMW

GJMW

I have bought a secondhand Cambridge Audio 500 RC amplifier and I am have set it up with a Technics Quartz direct drive turntable my speakers are KEF C5, my problem is that while I can hear my discs OK it is only with the volume turned right up and hardly any bass, I have connected the turntable to the phono input any help would be appreciated

GJMW, Jan 10, 2019
  2. GJMW

Sergeauckland

Are you sure the amplifier has a phono stage installed? I don't know that amplifier specifically, but for example, my Meridian amp has an input market 'phono' but requires the optional phono card to be installed as without it, it's just another line input.

If it doesn't, and what you describe is exactly what you will get without one, you'll need an external phono stage. There are some perfectly adequate ones for under £100 new.

S

Sergeauckland, Jan 15, 2019
  3. GJMW

GJMW

thanks for the reply, I am not sure about the phono thing as the second hand amplifier only cost £68,I had thought that I might try some of the other inputs and see what happens
    G

GJMW, Jan 15, 2019
  4. GJMW

Sergeauckland

I've just downloaded the user manual for the Cambridge Audio A500, and it definitely says the phono stage is an option. Using another input will result in exactly the same thing, as the amp just doesn't have the capability to handle a turntable. You may be able to get the optional board from eBay, but pretty unlikely so you need an external phono stage.
    I tried to attach the user manual in case you don't have one, but the file is too big You can get it for yourself from hifiengine.com. You'll need to register, but it's free and they don't spam you.

S.

5. GJMW

GJMW

Thanks I have already got the manual maybe should have read it more thoroughly looks like I will have do as you say, I have got a turntable preamp would this have any affect?
    G

GJMW, Jan 15, 2019
  6. GJMW

Sergeauckland

Yes, if you already have a turntable preamp, (also known as a phono stage) then that will make it work correctly.

S.

7. GJMW

GJMW

I have checked out my preamp and its not up to the job so what would you recommend bearing in mind my Cambridge 500RC was second hand at £68 quid

GJMW, Jan 25, 2019
  8. GJMW

Sergeauckland

I think you have two options. Firstly, just get a phono preamp and use your A500. There are lots of options, from the Behringer PP400 available from £17 upwards, plus a set of phono leads which you can get for around £5. The Project Phono Box is well regarded at £49, or the Cambridge Audio 551P at around £100.

All these are new prices, and you can do better on eBay buying used. There's nothing to wear out on these, so buying used is a low-risk approach.

The second suggestion is to sell your A500, and you should get back what you paid for it, and get an amplifier with a built-in phono stage from any of the mainstream suppliers like Marantz, Denon, etc etc. That will probably end up costing more than the phono stage.I would go for the phono stage as the amplifier you have is pretty good. The Project Phono box is a good bet.

Hope this helps.

S.

Sergeauckland, Jan 25, 2019
  9. GJMW

GJMW

I have taken your advice and put the amplifier on Ebay I am now bidding for a Denon which I hope will answer my problem, thanks for your help.

GJMW, Jan 26, 2019
Ask a Question