Can I *SAFELY* run a mixing desk into a guitar cabinet?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by coil93, Jan 14, 2023.

1. coil93

coil93

Hi all,

I've been hired to play an event at a pub and agreed assuming that they had some sort of basic PA to run a microphone through... It turns out this is not the case and they thought I'd have all of the equipment needed ready to go (poor communication on both sides, but there we go).

The question I have is this...If I were to run a mixing desk into a guitar speaker cab, can I do it safely without causing damage to the gear? It would be a microphone, an electroacoustic guitar and a digital piano running into a Alto Live 1604 mixing desk, running into an Laney LV412A.

I know it probably won't be the prettiest sounding setup in the world, but I can cross that bridge when I get to it. For now, I just want to know if this is safe and if so how to go about it.

coil93, Jan 14, 2023
  2. coil93

Sergeauckland

Yes, entirely safe. Just make sure you run the mixer into a flat input on the guitar amp, no overdrive, no effects. The only issue is that the input sensitivity of the amp may mean that the levels on the mixer have to be kept low. It probably won't sound very good, but won't break anything.

Edit:- Having looked at the spec of the Laney cabinet, I didn't see any amplifier, just a 'speaker cabinet. If so, you'll need an amplifier of some sort as your mixer doesn't include power amps as far as I can see.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    Sergeauckland, Jan 14, 2023
Ask a Question