Can you use a 3.5 mm audio plug to connect to wireless wi-fi speaker systems?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ken Wylie, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Ken Wylie

Ken Wylie

I hope it's ok to ask a question like this on this forum.

For my dental office, I am wanting to use a music streaming service for business such as Cloud Cover Music on my pc and distribute the sound to multiple rooms via wireless speakers. I have been looking into systems including Chromecast, Sonos, and Bose Soundlink...they all talk about being compatible with certain apps, but I can't figure out if you can just connect to one of them with an audio 3.5 mm jack. Is it possible to use any application from my PC to connect to these systems with a cable? I don't want to buy the speakers and then find out it doesn't work with a basic connection or to get stuck not being able to use a basic music service that requires a proprietary software connection.

Any suggestions on a suitable and flexible system would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ken Wylie, Aug 26, 2017
  2. Ken Wylie

sktn77a

Yes, you connect a base station to the PC and then connect the remote speakers to the base station wirelessly (wifi or bluetooth). Be aware that bluetooth range is limited.

sktn77a, Sep 1, 2017
  3. Ken Wylie

Baz

It's a nuisance to say it. But you may need a license to play music to the public. Pubs and bars have entertainments license to cover them. Most d.j's are also covered by this when playing at the premises. Some shops also have a license that covers them. Just check to make sure if your in England because the gov will try and rip you off by making you pay.

Baz, Oct 26, 2017
Ask a Question