Cap value and SQ?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Yui, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Yui

Yui

Does anyone here have an opinion on whether smaller value caps sound better than higher value caps when, for example, used as output caps?

Yui, Apr 19, 2008
  2. Yui

zanash

a small cap will always have a better performance than the same type of larger cap, regardless of application.

As output caps or dc blockers .....electrolytics are not very good and could be said to emasculate the music signal....imo

As to the value ..its said that lower values roll off the bass ...though I can't say I've noticed as the caps I use in this application allow more music through to start with !

So .....I've tried every type of cap commonly available in this application....

the worst are
    tantalums
    electrolytics
    film cap
    paper in oil are the least worst.

I've had very good results with 4uf 400v pio's these are bog standard ex soviet types ...I'd imagine that Audionote silver in oil sound stunning ...but at £30 plus each I'm not willing to try !

feel free to experiment as different tastes may need different types ....

zanash, Apr 19, 2008
  3. Yui

Tenson Moderator

Polyprpoline and polyester film caps should be a good alternative to paper in oil.

Don't go too small or you will block the bass. 4u7 is a suitable value.

Tenson, Apr 19, 2008
  4. Yui

Yui

Hi,

thanks for the replies.

if 4u7 is suitable why do manufacturers use anything from 100 - 1000u?

i have also seen some people mod output caps to have larger value than the original. is there an explanation, or situation, for when larger value caps are better?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2008
    Yui, Apr 19, 2008
Ask a Question