Capacitor replacement on my Linn Klout

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Shanksy, Jan 28, 2024.

1. Shanksy

Shanksy

Hi,

I have new capacitors for the Klout and have successfully replaced all but the 4 reservoir caps, as im not sure which parts of the curcuit board to connect to.

The original Linn caps (10000uf 63v) have 4 pins. One negetive and a positive and 2 more for stabamilsing the cap I believe. the pins are not concentric to the cap. The pins on the original cap are marked -, 1, 2 and 3. I believe - is negetive and 1 is the positive? as I used a multimeter to confirm.

I have marked the image attached with the original cap numbers and see the new cap is only a 2 pin cap. Ive numbered 1, 2 and 3 in red and the - as blue (for clarity)

Looking at the trace on the board, the black wire as shown corresponds to the orange * I have marked and I believe this to be the negative pin on the cap?

I have looked on the other side of the board and marked with a purple + where the trace is and which I believe to be the positive pin of the cap?

I have also followed some of the conversation on pages like this, however no one seems to go into any detail on which pin on a 2 pin cap goes where:
    https://www.audio-forums.com/threads/capacitor-replacement-on-my-linn-equipment.111434/

I take it on the 2 pin cap, the pins have to be flattened down, with a leader soldiered on and then connected to the correct place on the board. Looking at the image I got from a job done online, the negetive marks on the caps are all the same direction, so the leaders must be underneath the cap to achieve this orientation? Perhaps they have then hot glued the cap to the board to stabilise it?

Does anyone have any information on how to install these caps correctly?
    any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Shanksy, Jan 28, 2024
  2. Shanksy

Arkless Electronics

It should be fairly obvious from markings on the original caps and probably on the board as to how to fit them. You may need to drill new holes even and add wire jumpers to get things right. Go by how it electrical must be rather than "how the original holes line up" if you see what I mean. Indeed you will probably end up with all the - markings pointing the same way... but always double check on this.

The connections to the ground plane are obviously one of the correct ones to each cap and the orientation in your second pic shows which way round they go. If the extra 2 pins on the originals are just anchoring points (which is usual) then the other pins on the caps go to the holes which actually connect to something and are not just blank mounting holes there for mechanical strength.

Arkless Electronics, Jan 29, 2024
  3. Shanksy

Arkless Electronics

PS If all the pins connect then you may have "4 terminal capacitors" of the DNM style. They did make them for some other companies who then marked them in their own branding. If so you will need to work out how to link them out under the board.
    Maybe a job for the pro's.... Such as myself;)

Arkless Electronics, Jan 29, 2024
  4. Shanksy

Shanksy

Yes, ive aborted the mission and giving it to a professional.

Shanksy, Jan 29, 2024
Ask a Question