Caps and resistors

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by rsand, Jun 15, 2005.

1. rsand

rsand I can't feel my toes

The benefits of upgrading caps is well documented, but are there audio grade resistors and do they make much of a difference?

The caps in the dac/output section of my dcp have (2x) MPT 0.76uf 100VJ, (2x) MPT 18.0uf 100VJ and (6x) 470uf 25v which are the best to use? I have had a look around but cant find caps with these values where is a good source?

And where can I source replacement op amps, probably AD8065 unless anyone reccomends different?

thanks

rsand, Jun 15, 2005
  2. rsand

T-bone Sanchez

CPC, Farnell, RS all have good supplies. For op amps you could try the US, they tend to be alot cheaper from there.

There are audio grade resisitors such as vishay, the main advantage is that they tend to have a much lower tolerance. Im still experimenting with resisitors, the best advice I can give is to measure each resisitor individually and match accordingly.

T-bone Sanchez, Jun 15, 2005
  3. rsand

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Rob, Do remeber when using the 8065, its rail voltage is 27v so +/-13.5 and they don't like running any more, so a reg change may well be in order.
    Try the Panny FC's good all round cap and low esr, high ripple current, cheapish too, th Elna's are good too as are the Rubycon Za's ultra low impedence units.
    Oscons for digital decoupling. Wm

wadia-miester, Jun 15, 2005
  4. rsand

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Oh Rob, when you do it, a quality temp. controlled iron and decent solder sucker will help enormously. Wm

wadia-miester, Jun 15, 2005
  5. rsand

zanash

Yes to answer your question.......

holco's
    vishays
    rhodestiens [?]

to name a couple.......

if you want any holco's pm me

zanash, Jun 15, 2005
  6. rsand

Thanks for the offer Zanash will probably be in touch when I work out what I need.

I will be buying a new iron as mines a bit poor (any reccomendations), as is my multimeter. I really want to do this myself as a bit of a project but getting a bit nervous. Questions like Is it best to go for 2 8065's or one 66? I'm struggling to find caps of the same values?

rsand, Jun 15, 2005
  7. rsand

T-bone Sanchez

IS this the copeland your butcherin er I mean modyfying?

I use Antex irons, they do a nice 50w temp controlled one for around 50 squid or you could try ebay and get it abit cheaper. Remember that soldering is one thing, de-soldering and making is decent job of it is a real skill IMO.

T-bone Sanchez, Jun 15, 2005
  8. rsand

It is indeed the copland on the operating table! TBH the de-soldering/soldering doesnt bother me my soldering is quite neat, as a designer/artist I can pretty much turn my hand to anything. Its the tech stuff and understanding thats the issue, swapping like for like is what I am comfortable with.

rsand, Jun 15, 2005
  9. rsand

Anex Thermionic

Vishays are beasty resistors but expensive so only really worth using in the signal path. I've tried a good number of Rs and vishays win hands down every time. After a month of settling.
    I'd check out what resistors are in there to start with though, if they're tight tollerance and not in the signal path probably best spending money elsewhere, like putting vishays in your amps :)

Anex, Jun 15, 2005
Ask a Question