Car insurance

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MO!, Jul 4, 2009.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

It's time to renew.

First year of driving (and approx 9000 miles), has passed by accident/claim free.

Last time round I went fully comp (the difference in quotes seemed minimal). And ended up paying £530

I've been sent a renewal quote for £460

I'm 29 and the car only cost me £500.

A few questions....

Keeping in mind that the car was only £500.

I've been quoted £320 for 3rd party only. I assume this means any accidents NOT my fault will be paid by the other person's company. And anything my fault my company will pay the other person, but not for my car? That sounds fine to me with the car being so cheap anyhow.

I went fully comp last time. Does being fully comp help bring the price down for future quotes? Also, does fully comp mean I'm covered to drive my fathers car for example?

Voluntary excess. I can choose various levels, £0, £100, £250, £500...
    Does this excess refer to payments to other drivers, or just my own car? Again keeping in mind my car was only £500 I'd probably just scrap it if it needed any real work done to it.

This is all a bit confusing and any help appreciated.

Thanks.

MO!, Jul 4, 2009
  2. MO!

DavidF

This is how I would answer......but don't take MY word for it!

1)Yes theortretically any accidents not your fault are paid by the insurer of the other car. Doesn't make any difference if you a re third party or not this SHOULD be the case.

My brother has complained bitterly of cases being taken "knock for knock". In other words the insurers can' t be arsed to work it out and just sting both innocent AND guilty parties. So, not good if you are innoocent and have just been rammed up the back.

2) if you are third party they won't pay out on YOUR car. Your on your own there.

Like you say no big deal if the cars value is not great.

3) does fully comp help your ncb? I'm not sure...it might well....ask them.

4) Are yoiu insured on your dads car?

Almost certainly not being so new to driving.

Again ask them

5) Excess...refers almost certainly to both cars.....if fully comp.

tpf+t usually covers windsceens too, so you'll have an excess on that too.

The more excess you pay the more you wioll bring the pemium down.

Try to be clear what your policy covers.

Its not easy as it is there to baffle!!!! :)

DavidF, Jul 4, 2009
  3. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

My understanding was that being fully comp meant I was insured to drive other cars with the owners permission :confused:

That's about the only reason I'd have considered fully comp keeping in mind my car is relatively cheap.

MO!, Jul 4, 2009
  4. MO!

DavidF

I started driving at 17.

I was driving a good 5 years before I got that.

Again, it might all be different now.

A can't answer for sure though. Its your broker/co you need to answer properly.

(I havan't got not now btw (i 've been driving nearly 30 years) but then a transit connect means commercial veh ins ( even though it is now used for pleasure only)....which automatically means no other cars. Same with camper vans.

Its no issue to me, the only other car I might need to drive is my dad's and he has blanket insuurance for all family members)

DavidF, Jul 4, 2009
  5. MO!

lbr monkey boy

Just to pick up on a couple of the unanswered points:

Fully comp insurance typically comes with a clause to allow you to drive someone else's car, but that is not technically what fully comp means (just a perk that is often included). You need to confirm this with your insurer if important to you.

With third party insurance you would be covered by the third party's insurance if you were involved in an accident that was not your fault. This wouldn't help of course if the third party was uninsured or did a runner. Also, being third party, you may well find yourself without legal cover or a sympathetic insurer to progress your claim in the event that the third party or his insurer disclaimed liability - you might end up needing to pursue matters yourself which is time consuming and stressful. If you are fully comp, your own insurer would naturally take up your cause with the other insurer in order to avoid having to pay out itself.

lbr, Jul 4, 2009
  6. MO!

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

garyi, Jul 4, 2009
  7. MO!

DavidF

All good points.

AS ibr infers, don't expect too much generoisity from the other drivers insurers.

DavidF, Jul 4, 2009
  8. MO!

DavidF

Also the monetry gap between tpf+t and fully comp is not a great a when I started out.

DavidF, Jul 4, 2009
  9. MO!

lbr monkey boy

No offence meant, but that may be related more to your advancing maturity than to a shift in the market ;)

lbr, Jul 4, 2009
  10. MO!

DavidF

:D

might it be a bit of both...?

lol

DavidF, Jul 5, 2009
  11. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Thanks for the replies.

I've had a look through my expiring fully comp policy and it says I am covered 3rd party when driving another car with permission.

This is something I'll use, so assuming this is only provided with fully comp, that's reason for me to continue as such.

I'm still not sure what to do about the excess though.

Again, for a relatively cheap car, I'd not want to forfeit my no claims. So £250 would seem a reasonalble voluntary excess?

MO!, Jul 5, 2009
  12. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Gary, I've been using gocompare.com

Do these comparison sites all search the same companies?

MO!, Jul 5, 2009
  13. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

To answer my own question.... confused.com is finding much cheaper results! £330 comprehensive.

I've got till the 10th to renew, so still time to shop around. Amazed at the potential savings so far though! :)

MO!, Jul 5, 2009
  14. MO!

DavidF

Yes

I'm now with gladiator in wales.

In my dealings with them it actually sounded like they gave a damn....so they got my monney.

Taking my dad off the ins dropped the quote from about 500 to roughly 300. They don't like over 70s.

DavidF, Jul 5, 2009
  15. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I've found that adding my dad as a named driver has dropped my quotes by around £50.

MO!, Jul 5, 2009
  16. MO!

DavidF

but your dad ain't over 70?

DavidF, Jul 5, 2009
  17. MO!

Neil

I'd go for fully comp - it shows a "responsible" attitude to risk. Once you've used a comparison site then ring Direct Line with the quote details and they may be able to compete/beat the quote. Add legal cover if it's not included - I know to my cost how complex things can get (not at fault accident - both cars written off, third party claimed he was driving but was not, it was his GF on a provisional license. My car, a rather nice vintage Alfa Romeo, had an agreed value which his insurace didn't agree with etc... - a new world of pain!) and go for about £200 excess.

Neil, Jul 6, 2009
  18. MO!

DavidF

Yes.

Defo agree.

Fully comp if you can

it shows a "responsible" attitude to risk

....a good way of expressing it. Its all s**t enough as it is.

My car, a rather nice vintage Alfa Romeo,

....pics, please!!

DavidF, Jul 6, 2009
  19. MO!

Samantha

Sometimes Fully Comp can be cheaper than TPF&T.

This is simply because there are less companies that offer TPF&T as this is seen to be the riskier end of the market.

So if you use a broker to search for the best deals, they could come back with a higher price from the 30 companies that offer TPF&T vs the 100+ companies that will offer fully comp cover.

Driving another car - this is a common extra given on fully comp policies, but isn't always - so do check it is included. You can get it added onto a TPF&T policy as well - but usually extra cost.

Increased excess - once you have found best deal, see what difference the excess makes. Some will drop over £10 for every £100 extra excess, but on some, it may only drop by a couple of quid.

If you don't cover average mileage - see if you can get the price down by going for a limited mileage policy. Usually only a saving if you are 7,500 miles or fewer. I have a 5,000 mile policy on one of my cars and a 3,500 mile policy on the other. If I get close to the miles allowed, I can ring and have it amended upwards for a small charge.

Some companies will also give a discount if you don't drive at night - i.e. the car will be stationary between 9pm and 6am (or something like that).

Also discount if garaged.

Discount if an approved deterant like a disklock is used (although do bear in mind, any theft cover would be void if stolen and it wasn't fitted!)

If you speak with a good broker, they should help you. Why not ring the one that Confused pointed you to and see if they can get it lower.......

Samantha, Jul 7, 2009
  20. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Thanks for the advice.

I found confused returned better results over all (for me). :)

Ended up with esure. Legal cover was an extra £25, but driving other cars was included.

Came in just under £370 which I'm happy with. Wouldn't have expected to save that much after only 1 year.

£150 excess, as £250 only saved £10 - £20.

Good darts :)

MO!, Jul 10, 2009
Ask a Question