Cartridge Life

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Harry Hotspur, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur

Afternoon,

I'd like to draw on the vast knowledge of the forum. I seem to remember reading an article some time ago saying that a cartridge would have a finite life, even if not used. It said this would be due to the ageing of perishable components. Is this good gen or not?

The reason I am asking is that I currently have a Lyra Clavis that has been in storage for the last 3 years whilst I am overseas. The cartridge must be approaching 10 years old now and has had minimal usage over that time. Given my impending return to the UK it looks like I have 3 options - use the cartridge as is, get it refurbished (Expert Stylus?) or buy new (eg Delos or similar).

All suggestions and comments on the best option welcomed.

Harry Hotspur, Nov 2, 2010
  2. Harry Hotspur

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Harry,

Results vary between models and this depends on the materials used in the construction. For example I've seen cartridges that used dense foam around the stylus cantilever hinge and this can deteriorate badly over the years.
    Other than the tip, which only deteriorates with use not storage, it is the compliant parts inside the cartridge body which deteriorate. Some will go on for many years, especially is carefully stored.

You can check this yourself. Assuming the tip is ok, play a record and see how the cantilever rides the record. The lyra has low compliance and should be stable in the groove and be able to ride warps without the belly of the cartridge bottoming on the record surface. If it looks and sounds stable with clean tracking, I wouldn't be worried and you can safely use the cartridge until it needs a re-tip.

RobHolt, Nov 2, 2010
  3. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur

Thanks Rob,

I will do as you suggest and see what happens!!

Harry Hotspur, Nov 4, 2010
Ask a Question