Cartridge recommendation - XX2 or Kontra C

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by robM, Dec 7, 2008.

1. robM

robM

Hi All

A friend is after a new cartridge. he's looking at a Dynavector XX2 II and Ortofon Kontrapunkt C both are about at the same price. He mainly listens to 50's & 60's Jazz, 70's Soul and Funk .... any ideas about which is the better cartridge. System is Brinkmann TT based with ATC Active 150s.

I have heard the XX2 MK2 and love it but never heard the Kontrapunkt C.

thanks

Rob

robM, Dec 7, 2008
  2. robM

scott_01

Not heard either of these and hence take my recommendation with the usual t'interweb pinch of salt.

However, are the EMT JSD15, Brinkman EMT and possibly the Einstein TU3 not all around that money? Try Walrus, they may be able to demo the Brinkman EMT for him.

scott_01, Dec 7, 2008
  3. robM

Papa Lazarou

Neither IMO. Take a look at ZYX cartridges.
    The ZYX R-100 H i've recently bought easily outperforms the Kontrapunkt B I had. The Kontras sound a bit cool and sterile to me now i've tried other alternatives. IMO the Rondo Bronze would give any of the Kontrapunkts a run for their money.

My last cartridge was a Shelter 901 and I reckon the cheaper ZYX R-100 is pretty much as good, each has their own strengths/weaknesses.

At £650 RRP I seriously doubt you can buy a better cart. Someone I know just replaced a Lyra Helikon with a R-100.
    The Yatra II at £900 and Fuji at £1250 should be even better!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2008
    Papa Lazarou, Dec 8, 2008
  4. robM

robM

Hi Papa

Well I couldn't disagree with you more about the R-100. Good as it is, I have a 901 and R-100 and the 901 completely destroys, kills, leaves the R100 for dust! I have a 4D and have just purchased an Ortofon Vienna... again the Vienna is so much better than the 4D. I find the ZYX cartridges although very good can sound a bit bright. Certainly the Airy 3 and 4D with their perspex bodies can be a bit 'brightish' and I think they are just too lightweight. I do think the reviewers have got a bit carried away with the ZYX range of late.
    The Rondo Range is pretty cheap.... and I'll leave it there!

I have many cartridges as I don't like to sell them (no time). My personal faves are the Ortofon Vienna, Windfeld and Dynavector XV1s, absolutely brilliant in what they do.

The Kontrapunkt in my original question was the C not the cheaper B.

robM, Dec 8, 2008
  5. robM

SCIDB Moderator

Hi RobM,

How long have you had a Winfeld for?

SCIDB

SCIDB, Dec 8, 2008
  6. robM

robM

Hey

I've had the Winfeld for about 2 months. It is excellent and worth every penny, although you could buy a second-hand BMW 2002 for the same money!

It sits on an AS-309s tonearm on a TD 550..looking very attractive. I spend quite a bit of time working in Germany hence the gear.

robM, Dec 9, 2008
  7. robM

anon_bb Honey Badger

I have a brinkmann lagrange - the brinkmann emt on that deck sounded way better than the dynavector te katora, which is above the dynavector you have mentioned. It was also better than the ortofon k-b, lyra helikon or the tranfiguration. It is more detailed, clearer and dyamic with a much tighter bass. You could try a winfield online you would get a good deal. Walrus Systems in London have all of these cartridges.

anon_bb, Dec 9, 2008
  8. robM

robM

Hi brizonbiovizier

I have a Winfeld but this is not about me.

The original question was about the Kontra C not B. I have heard the B is really not as good as the C. I too have a Brinkmann EMT Titanium in my arsenal. It's a lovely cartridge and very unique.

robM, Dec 9, 2008
  9. robM

anon_bb Honey Badger

Yeah I havent heard the c though ;)

anon_bb, Dec 9, 2008
  10. robM

kingsxfan

I'd agree, try and audition a ZYX. Results with any cart will of course be taste and system/front end dependant. I found the Kontrapunkts to be too sterile also. I personally think they are not the best VFM out there. The b has increased in price by £100 since it first hit. In that time the Rondo Bronze has hit the shelves and represents far better VFM.

The ZYX Yatra II I own has far more warmth than my previous Kontrapunkt to my ears, exudes detail, tracks audibly better in the inner grooves. Its also far better spec'd to boot.

Well worthy of an audition in my humble opinion :)

kingsxfan, Dec 15, 2008
Ask a Question