Cartridge Tags

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Joolsburger, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

Should someone have foolishly pulled the tag off of a tone arm lead due to a new cartridge being smaller than the last and the tonearm cable having no slack as it's encased in foam inside the arm tube. What could they do to remedy the situation without for example using a lighter to solder a spare flying lead and cartridge tag to what's left. :eek: Whch although effective is not very elegant!! A tonearm rewire is not an option at £150.00.

Joolsburger, Nov 8, 2005
  2. Joolsburger

Sid and Coke

I don't know about using a lighter but the non elegant solution seems to be about your only quick and practical solution here. It souldn't actually be that much of a problem and if soldered carefully testing your arm wires using a reasonable accurate Multi meter will probably show now differerences between all 4 wires. Whether you could live with this in the long term would be down to you. I am a bit of a cable sceptic and although I'd go for the quick fix a comlete arm re-wire would be an omni present thought in the back of my mind.

In fact, I've been in exactly the same position as you in the past, i re-wired the arm !
    I don't actually like the way that Linn wire their tonearms, i think there are too many connections for such a small signal, however it does have practical uses if you snap a tag off......

Good luck and happy soldering....

Sid and Coke, Nov 8, 2005
  3. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

I did use a soldering iron in the end and it seems to sound fine. I know what you mean about the rewire it's going to bug me until I cave in, I know it. Meh, seems to work.

Joolsburger, Nov 8, 2005
Ask a Question