Castle Durham II Speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Leeamphead, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Leeamphead

Leeamphead

I better say hello first being new here, how are you all doing.

I have a quick question for you all. I managed to listen for the first time a pair of Castle Durham II Speakers and to my surprise was absolutely blown away by there performance for a bookshelf speaker. The speaker where being run by a pair of Quad II Monoblock Valve Power Amps.

It turns out that these speaker stop production some years ago know and I was hoping to buy a pair but cannot find them anywhere online. Are these speaker a keeper and do not come up for sale very often, or am I just not looking in the right place.

Leeamphead, Jul 31, 2010
  2. Leeamphead

RobHolt Moderator

Castle were very popular in the uk back in the 80s and early 90s but the popularity dwindled and the company went bust a few years ago.
    They made some very good speakers, but you won't find them as commonly available as the likes of say Mission, Kef or Celestion.

RobHolt, Aug 1, 2010
  3. Leeamphead

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Yes, good company with excellent cabinets in particular. Castle used to make cabs for a few other manufacturers too.

You may like the ''harlechs'' which got great reviews at the time. These floorstanders have an omni-drectional presentation, fans of shahanian and other omni speakers often like them. If this is your bag, they do that very well.

I've seen all the castle speakers on ebay over time, its just a matter of patience.

Do know that some drivers used by them arent made now, so you may have to bodge something together if you blow them to crap.

bottleneck, Aug 1, 2010
  4. Leeamphead

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

oh,

I forgot to mention.

A second lease-of-life.

I've seen the brand at Audio T again a few weeks ago. I think perhaps its started again under a new banner, probably I'd guess unrelated to the original manufacturer (?) I do not know.

more here - - -
    http://www.audio-t.co.uk/?section=news&page=Castle_extra

***edit***
    taken from my own link, above - - - - As Peter Comeau, Castle’s Director of Acoustics, explains, ..............

well there you have it.
    I now know who, etc.

Have you heard world audio design speakers ? I wonder about possible parallels.
    Only way is to hear a pair I guess.

bottleneck, Aug 1, 2010
  5. Leeamphead

Leeamphead

Well it seem castle still have a website up and running so it looks like there still about.

http://www.castle.uk.com/

Thanks for the info on the Speakers, as you said the build quality and wood finish of the speaker where very impressive, I will just have to keep my eyes out on Ebay for a pair.

[​IMG]

Leeamphead, Aug 1, 2010
Ask a Question