CD player "tweak"

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Mr_Sukebe, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

My CD player recently developed two faults recently.

Firstly it stopped ejecting CDs instantly, which you may have seen the thread about in the "hi-fi" area here.

Secondly, it had started to skip occasionally whilst playing a CD.

Now I couldn't help but notice in another thread that someone had suggested using GT85 teflon lubricant on the rail which supports the laser mechanism. So, I pop down to my local cycle shop and purchase a tin. They did seem a little bemused when asking whether I'd be using it on a bike chain, only for me to reply "nope, in my CD player". I guess it's not something that happens everyday.
    Either way, took the GT85 home and promptly took the lid of my VRDS-7.
    Having never been in the player before, I was a little shocked by just how full it was. Most electronic units nowadays appear to consist of empty air space. Not the VRDS, it's FULL.
    So, 5 mins later, I finally get the secondary top plate off and locate the laser rail. Using a watchmakers screwdriver to lower drops of the GT85 onto the rail (spray huge amounts into the player really didn't strike me as a good idea), I tested the unit mechanically, the put it all back as was.

24 hours later, and it's run through a complete read of several CDs whilst I've been sleeping etc.

The results... Well for one thing, it's stopped skipping, so job done... Not quite!
    Amazingly, it seems to have actually made it sound better, with better projection on vocals, more detail and general attack.
    To say that I'm a little taken aback is an understatement, it's quite a transformation in sound quality.

So, if you get the chance and have an old CDP, give it a try yourself.

Mr_Sukebe, Jul 9, 2003
  2. Mr_Sukebe

cookiemonster

Just done mine with the same stuff - TBH i'm not sure if it sounds better as i have changed quite a bit recently so difficult to see what impact it has had. Isaac said it improved his though, as you may know. Should be posting some pics of the 'procedure 'soon hopefully. We used cotton buds to apply it BTW. No skipping now either - which it used to occasionally.

cheers

cookiemonster, Jul 9, 2003
  3. Mr_Sukebe

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

if you look around some cans of gt85 have a thin straw attached to em,ideal for squirting in tight spaces

themadhippy, Jul 9, 2003
  4. Mr_Sukebe

batfink

Sounds like WD40 to me.

batfink, Jul 10, 2003
  5. Mr_Sukebe

cookiemonster

My deoxit is like that - but still best applied to a cotton bud IMO - my nimbleness has always been a source of mockery and likenesses with the gazell have repeatedly been a statement of sarcasm - similalry my zero delicacy with squirting such fliuids usually results in flooding the targeted area, as my fingers seem to be incapable of just drawing the requisite small drops out of the tin. Safer applied to a cotton bud or similar than direct with the straw. :)

cookiemonster, Jul 10, 2003
  6. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

My tin most certainly did come with a small straw. There is still no way I'd use it inside my CDP as even a small squirt sprays quite a lot of fluid around in a not too controlled manner.
    As mentioned, I sprayed some onto a small watchmakers screwdriver tip whilst away from the CDP, then dribbled droplets from the screwdriver on the laser guide rail.

Mr_Sukebe, Jul 10, 2003
  7. Mr_Sukebe

test tone

Another option for controlled dispersion of oils/greases is a syringe. Not, I hasten to add, a sharp, needle point one. The one I have is blunt ended, and came from one of those sets used to refill inkjet printer cartridges. It has reach and control, and is especially useful in and around sensitive areas of equipment, such as a CDP transport.

You can also get blank syringes (no needle point, just the body) from chemists. These work well to hold and control dispense thinner greases.

test tone, Jul 11, 2003
Ask a Question