CDP woes

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by mjp200581, Aug 29, 2011.

1. mjp200581

mjp200581

I recently purchased a second hand NAD 541i CDP which will not read discs properly. The unit will almost always find the track list when it first reads the CD but will not find a particular track when requested. Weirdly if I put a disc in the drawer and press 'play' rather than 'close' it will play the first few tracks OK.
    I have lubricated the mechanism and replaced the laser but this hasn't helped.

Any suggestions?

mjp200581, Aug 29, 2011
  2. mjp200581

mjp200581

Great service from Richer Sounds = CDP fixed!

I took the NAD to my local Richer Sounds this morning to see if their resident repairer could shed any light on the problem. The repairer (John) immediately diagnosed the problem as worn spin motor bearings and offered to replace the whole laser and motor assembly with warranty for a bargain £65. Since I had already fitted a new laser I declined this offer. He then brought out a spare motor assembly from his stock of parts which he told me I could have for free!
    I fitted the replacement motor at home and the player ran perfectly.
    Richer Sounds often come under criticism from Hi Fi snobs but I cannot fault the service I received today.

Many thanks Richer Sounds Sheffield!

mjp200581, Aug 30, 2011
  3. mjp200581

felix part-time Horta

That's excellent service indeed :)

Also means you probably have a known-good spare laser for it, recently removed...

felix, Aug 30, 2011
  4. mjp200581

Tenson Moderator

That's superb :) I'm impressed the tech guy knew his stuff so well.

Tenson, Aug 30, 2011
Ask a Question