Charity Shop ClassicsForPleasure label records - ones to avoid?

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by SMEagol, Oct 29, 2008.

1. SMEagol

SMEagol Because we wants it...

I've bought a few of these "Classics for Pleasure", admittedly at the princely sum of 50p each! I don't know much about classical, but this enables me to dip my toe in the water beyond the well worn Scarlatti, Bach and Vaughn Williams CDs I had, and feed some homeless animals too. I always pay more than they ask.

I bought these EMI "CFP" records but they seem to be a mixed bag...

The Albinoni and Vivaldi Oboe Concerto's (1971) album was fantastic
    as was the Four Seasons (1972) but...

Holsts Planets - really quiet recording level, ended up with phono stage noise and the amp cranked half way round - unheard of...
    Madame Butterfly - incredibly shrill with no mids
    Verdi Overtures - just plain muddy sounding.

All this vinyl looks immaculate, it seems the recording levels were done by work experience. Is MFP a label I should avoid, as it seems only as good as who was there on the day. Are these record club pressings?
    I bought a box set of Chopin for a pound on the Deutsche Grammophon label and its incredible and almost mint. What labels should I look for inbetween the rosy cheeked Toby Jugs and incomplete Jigsaw Puzzles? Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2008
    SMEagol, Oct 29, 2008
  2. SMEagol

lbr monkey boy

Not in the least an answer to any of your questions, I know ;), but Oxfam have a few 'speciality' charity shops that seems to focus on vinyl and books. I've found some great vinyl in these. They know what they've got and what it's worth mind - no bargains to be had, but that's fine in a charity shop I reckon.

lbr, Oct 29, 2008
  3. SMEagol

lordsummit moderate mod

cfp and mfp are a really good way of getting some very good recordings. Barbirolli and the Halle feature on some. There's a Beethoven fiddle concerto with Campoli playing on that's great as well.
    They were mostly older recordings, later on more were bespoke. definitely worth picking up at 50p a pop.
    I've never had those issue you had with them. Haven't got those recordings though. Perhaps you've just been unlucky.

lordsummit, Oct 30, 2008
  4. SMEagol

lordsummit moderate mod

Look for labels like:
    Deutsche Gramaphon
    HMV
    EMI
    CBS
    Decca
    Argo
    I've found before now some nice rainbow rim capitol recordings of light classics in Charity shops before now.
    My favourite 'old' labels are the Mercury and RCA issues. Look for Living Presence, or Living Stereo. Occasionally you'll come up trumps.
    The other creme de la creme label is the Decca Wide-band. There are two Decca labels, one has a narrow silver band across the middle, the other has a wider one. The wider ones are often very valuable.

Two labels that are often overlooked are Ace of Diamonds (cut priced Decca's that often used the Decca Wide Band Stampers) and Victrola (mid-price RCA's, again using the stampers from the Living Stereo records) Some of these are Decca Pressings as well.

Some less popular, but equally interesting labels are:
    Meloydia (The Russian state record company) Some of their pressings are absolutely astounding. They use valves all the way through. Later on you'll find them with brown and red EMI labels. They're not quite so collectable, but many fantastic recordings are on this label.
    Supraphon is the Czech equivalent. I've got some lovely ones of these.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want more information

lordsummit, Oct 30, 2008
Ask a Question