Cheap tip to improve your hi-fi....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by James_1D, May 30, 2011.

1. James_1D

James_1D

I have been chuffed with my hi-fi for some time now...finally got all the bits and bobs I wanted for it.....and was happily just acquiring new music and enjoying the rest of my existing collection...when a friend who recently got a new set up had a 2nd visit from his dealer....

All the dealer did was re-position the speakers...yup fine, I get that sound stage opens up as speakers settle....fine....but he also took out an allen key set and tightened all the nuts on the drive units (in this case 4 in total) and a slight tighten to the tweeter enclosure)....so my mate calls me up to say it's made a massive difference....

So I tried it on mine....tightened them all up, and I have to agree....the bass lines are significantly more taunt and over all sound is quite a bit better....mine were fairly loose...I was amazed....and I'm surprised they don't tell you this in the instructions....

James_1D, May 30, 2011
  2. James_1D

RobHolt Moderator

Hi James,

Some manufacturers and dealers used to give advice along those lines. Linn certainly did IIRC and if they didn't, their dealers did.

It is good advice and the only caution is to take care with screws going directly into wood or fibre board.

RobHolt, May 30, 2011
  3. James_1D

James_1D

Yea, you can go too far and it will have a negative effect....but hand tightened is fine....so all you DIY folks out there....step back from the hammer drill....that would be a recipe for disaster !

James_1D, May 30, 2011
  4. James_1D

zanash

jeez....this is from the seventies ..remember it from the first time round !

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2011
    zanash, May 30, 2011
  5. James_1D

James_1D

And you've kept it secret all this time....tut tut !

James_1D, May 30, 2011
Ask a Question