Christmas Break

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Dev, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Dev

Dev Moderator

Assuming the weather improves what HiFi related projects/activities are you guys planning over the break?

I was hoping to build a pair of speaker cabinets for my CPAs last month when I had a couple of weeks off work but didn't even manage to make a start due to ill health and a water leak at home:(. I'm hoping to make a start over the break if the weather improves and the insurance company repairs the water damage.

What about you guys?

Dev, Dec 21, 2010
  2. Dev

penance Arrogant Cock

I'm rewiring the house and will be chucking in 3 double sockets on dedicated supply while i do it.
    Does that count?

penance, Dec 21, 2010
  3. Dev

rsand I can't feel my toes

Christmas break? Whats that then, I'm snowed under with work :(

rsand, Dec 21, 2010
  4. Dev

Dev Moderator

Why not?, it'll keep you out of mischief/wife's hair:)
    I'm not sure. At the moment it seems like it's hibernation time:).

Dev, Dec 21, 2010
  5. Dev

penance Arrogant Cock

Not quite, she is following with the brush and pan, all that chasing in black lime mortart has made for a rasther messy house.

penance, Dec 21, 2010
  6. Dev

Cable Monkey

I have a Pass DIY B1 to throw together but the case hasn't turned up yet...:confused:

Cable Monkey, Dec 21, 2010
  7. Dev

RobHolt Moderator

Finishing my Quad rebuild now that the ramaining parts have turned up from Australia. Tonight hopefully.

Then in mid jan I need to get my act together and knock my plans for a phono stage design into shape, and get a modern take on a BBC LS3/6 sorted.
    I've booked the time off in readiness.

RobHolt, Dec 21, 2010
  8. Dev

felix part-time Horta

Rob, while you're at it, perhaps book a day off near the end of Feb. You can guess why ;)

felix, Dec 21, 2010
  9. Dev

speedy.steve

I've been swapping bass drivers and time aligning mid and horn tweeters to keep me busy...

speedy.steve, Dec 25, 2010
  10. Dev

titian

During these days I 'm going through the Bernstein symphony edition. I'm not really a fan of Bernstein but this box helps me to understand his musical life work much more.

On my system I won't do anything since I came to a point where I don't know what to do.

I have though several DIY activities in the pipeline.
    I'll have to fix the Bottlehead Foreplay III (with extended kit) preamplifier of my son.
    Then I still have to upgrade the third pair of Nestorovic NA-1 power amplifier with new capacitors and resistors. Also I would like to try faster diodes.
    But Hifi is no more first priority so who knows when I'll be able to do these things.

titian, Dec 26, 2010
  11. Dev

Hamilton

Just seen this so it's a retrospective response, but finally decided it was going to be a very long time before I could afford a second pair of Seas Milleniums (Millenia?) for my Linkwitz Orions, and therefore stuck on a pair of SB Acoustics SB26's as the rear tweeters instead. (Specs looked pretty good, curves similar, looked like they'd manage the low Xover point, less than a quarter of the price...) After a bit of fiddling with series resistors to get the levels balanced with the Seas on the front they sound brilliant - like everything (not just the top end) has snapped into focus. Very pleased indeed, better than I'd hoped. Now for the Twisted Pear DAC...

Hamilton, Jan 6, 2011
Ask a Question